1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Hang in there, @Driftwood. Sending patience and strength vibes to Missus Driftwood.

Yikes! I read Kinky Friedman's essay about coming back home from the Peace Corps with a raging case. I don't even have the requisite parts and it hurt to read. Sorry you went through that.

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They're two different things, man.

You realize TV show actors and movie actors and all crews are getting the same royal treatment, right? I mean, that's not as fun as moral preen, because Hollywood is cool and football sux, but didya want the studios to pay for COVID tests for nurses?

Are the UCLA nurses not able to get tests? At all? From anyone or anywhere?

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Hospital nurses should be provided all the PPE they need. If the hospital isn't doing that for any reason other than it can't be had, that's on them.

Hospital nurses, particularly those in direct contact with Covid patients, should have access to testing pretty much on demand. They should be available to all employees if they have symptoms or contact.

I don't see where team testing comes into it unless there is a huge shortage of test kits. Do I agree that continuing team sports of all sorts during a pandemic isn't very smart and a waste of resources better used elsewhere? Yeah, I do... but I understand everyone's desire for something normal in their lives. The problem is that going to Sturgis, or church, or the corner bar - or keeping the football team playing - feeds that desire but remain less than optimal choices.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    OscarMadison and wicked like this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This right here should be enough to get the attention of people like Clay Trumpist. The eventual accuracy rate of predictions re: long-term (years from now) impact is a side item. The mere fact that it's affecting people weeks or months after diagnosis should tell people that this ain't the flu.

5. Neutral Corner

Without doing a search, my perception would be at worst one pushing outdoor dining or where half the booths/tables are removed or taped to enforce distancing, and certainly restaurants that are fully carry out. Something less than a full normal sit down restaurant visit.

6. Neutral Corner

Sorry to hear it, Driftwood. I link to stuff about long-termers or ill wish it on particularly wrongheaded virus deniers without considering that I have a real live and hurting one right here. Sorry if I've been insensitive.

I wish you well, but I understand about lingering illness and tough recoveries. It's hard. Pamper yourself and don't consider it weakness when you need rest. Allow yourself that weakness and recuperate toward a better day.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

UCLA is a public institution, one part of that institution, the athletics department got 1248 tests in one week; the other part of that institution, the nurses it employs, got zero. Yeah, its not two different things. Its one institution treating two sectors differently. I'm not talking about society in general, UCLA.

And no, if your employer is treating some other sector differently, the answer is not "go find it yourself."

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Don't be sorry. I'm glad for the info. I appreciate it. Sometimes I'll have a pain or an issue and be thinking "Ohhhhhh, boy" then I see stuff like that and it's sort of a relief knowing it is a known side effect rather than "Now what have I got?!"

Post away.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sums up how I feel about 2020.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Pac 12 is paying for the UCLA football tests so the league can play games on TV. The TV revenue is then distributed to the schools less the amount the costs of tests.

UCLA is not paying for the tests. What are you proposing?

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

If that's true, my mistake. I thought the athletic department was paying. Now even if the money is coming from the TV contract and mandating it, that's different. Its still UCLA paying, which is wrong IMHO.

Draft saved Draft deleted