1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I've done enough work in social media and online marketing to know there are plenty of people who fish for followers and likes and going viral. Surely there are some in this health care worker category. But more probably just posted a thought or an observation or whatever else they are going through and it blew up, because, you know COVID, and that's where they got all their followers.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The only thing I'm trying to "justify" is why the players ARE getting tested.

That doesn't mean I'm trying to make some parallel argument as to why nurses SHOULDN'T be. I was only making a comparison to offer a POSSIBLE mitigating point as to why athletes are getting tested so often.

I believe every employer should make testing available to any employee who cannot work from home and has to be around people. I work for a crappy company. I expect crappy companies to act in crappy ways.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

While we're on Covid and sports, the NFL is going to force that Ravens - Steelers game to happen no matter how bad the exposure is. Last I heard was twenty Ravens on the Covid list, but by God they'll play.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

One, I think nurses probably are in close proximity to that many people over the course of their shifts especially as wards fill up and two, even if they aren't (say they only have certain case loads and manage to avoid parts of the hospital) they are for sure coming into contact with people with Covid. Football players might be coming in contact with people with Covid.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

wicked likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Who said we should stop testing football players? It is possible to test both and we should be testing both. It's a travesty that a group of nice-to-have football players are getting daily tests while a group of need-to-have nurses are not.

Mngwa and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They need to deep clean, fumigate, disinfect, and paint the place before Biden moves in. If I were a new WH staffer, I'd have to creeps about working in the notoriously small and cramped office space for the first six weeks I was there.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I've been tested 7 times...all for free, here in Ventura, Montana and Utah...tests are not readily available and the last test I took I had to wait 90 minutes (right before T-giving) but tests are there for the taking. I'd think a HCW would take it upon themselves to get tested if their employer doesn't.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Yes, but they shouldn't have to do that should they? Especially as a high risk worker? My wife is a HCW at a place with very low risk, although the risk exists, and she's been tested five times since July. Now to go on the down the middle of all of this, I bet tests are available to her and there has been a miscommunication there. But to not just occasionally do them as almost a work requirement is kind of ridiculous.

10. Spartan Squad

I mean it is a little messed up that nurses at a bloody hospital can't get a medical test done and have to go away from their hospital to get a medical test.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No, of course not. Agree 100%. That's the absurdity of where we are as a nation.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Was noodling over this fact while running an errand and delved into it a little bit. You have to do a lot of cocktail-napkin cipherin', but it's pretty amazing that so relatively few health care workers have died of this. Speaks to the effectiveness of the PPE and procedures they use, I suppose.

Spartan Squad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted