1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

then why bring it up?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That's where I'd put my money, too. If I had a nickel for every time a student shrieked "You never said thus-and-such was due then!" only to get awfully quiet when I pointed to the due date IN BOLD on the assignment document ...

OscarMadison, britwrit and Roscablo like this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Zero chance our post seasons are in front of empty stands. Our "state" association isn't really state run. It's its own entity, and post season ticket sales is how it lives and dies. Without football, it goes belly up. It's not for the interscholastic experience for the kids.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If I had a dollar for everytime that or something similar happened, I could retire ... and I'm in my second year...

OscarMadison and doctorquant like this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd put my money on nurses who are continually being exposed to the virus having asked for tests (and being stressed out by it) and being told that there aren't enough tests. i.e. -- What the nurse in that WaPo story said.

OscarMadison, Mngwa and qtlaw like this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Unless it's Hollywood. Then it's 900,000 jobs.

I understand plenty well. I'm fine with being disagreed with. I'm saying: If you got a beef with UCLA football players, you'd have a beef with Hollywood actors, too. Since they're not front-line health care workers, either.

I'm saying this months-long caterwauling about college athletes getting tested is odd when compared no months of caterwauling about actors.

I have no beef with either entity getting tested. The UCLA medical workers being tested is the responsibility of the UCLA Medical Center. Not the Pac-12. Not a movie studio.

Likewise, there are people who own five homes. They only need one, but they own five. Bought those homes with their own money. Can do with them what the please. Could homeless people use them? Sure. Yes. Could nurses use them? Absolutely. Maybe, because the nurses are doing a lot more for the country at this moment than the person owning five houses is, we should just give four of the houses to the nurses. After all, it says a lot about us, societally, that homes are just sitting empty, while front-line health care workers live in apartments.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

To make a point about how we think about things. The latter employs 900,000 people. That's millions upon millions of tests. Surely that has a bigger impact on the testing supply than 100 college football players.

8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

And on the syllabus ... and in the class discussions ... Which we can now watch on replay, thanks to remote teaching on Teams.

"Jimmy has thrown his red challenge flag, unhappy with the apparent lack of an appropriately announced due date for his essay. It looks like it's on the syllabus AND the assignment document, in bold type, which is an instruction move. It appears the professor has gotten two feet in and secured the assignment. Let's look at it from another angle. At 0:37 on the recording of the Nov. 5 lecture, the professor clearly announces the assignment is due on Nov. 19. Jimmy's going to lose this challenge and will have to sit in time out."

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Wow we only have 100 football players in the entire country? How does the SEC operate with so few?

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The bigger point is that this should not be an issue. There should be enough tests produced to test those who need it. The Defense Production Act should have been invoked and a stockpile produced.

That this simple action was never taken is one of the largest failures of leadership in this pandemic.

wicked and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

See though the more testing, the more cases. We should do LESS testing.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If those passengers had just stayed on the cruise ship, our numbers never would have gone up.

Draft saved Draft deleted