1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Boston University, which dropped football in 1994, is attempting to test all of its 30,000 plus students once a week and is actually coming close. To date, it's had relatively few virus cases while having all in person classes. I think "Football. Testing. What Does it say about us?" says nothing more than one of the oldest stories in human history. Institutions with lots of resources tend to have advantages over those with fewer.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  2. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

so, what does it mean?

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Schools around here are going remote learning, but are still allowing basketball games and wrestling matches to be played...but without fans.
    Here in town, school is remote learning, but no activities. People here in town are losing their minds.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I’m terrified of what the media is going to do with the vaccine once it’s distributed.

Here are some things that are statistically 100% going to happen:

Someone is going to get the vaccine and then find out soon after they have a serious disease

Someone is going to get the vaccine and then die of a heart attack, stroke, etc.

Someone is going to get the vaccine and then still get covid

Someone is going to get the vaccine and still die of covid

all of these are going to produce irresponsible click-chasing headlines and abuse of the word “may”

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd rather have that than restrictions (self-imposed, imposed by others, or otherwise) on what people can report and write about the vaccine rollout and people's experiences. This is a going to be a giant experiment with all of us as guinea pigs. The phase 3 trials that these vaccines have undergone were rushed and relatively small and left some questions still unanswered. There is no guarantee that they will work as well as people hope, or that there won't be more side effects than everyone is hoping for. Perhaps some serious or with long-term implications. People should get this vaccine with their eyes open to the uncertainty around it. And even if it requires people to wade through some shitty journalism (as they always have had to) with their nonsense detectors on, I think more information is much better than the opposite.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

ftfy.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Several weeks ago there were headlines when a fan who had attended the Kansas City Chiefs game later attained COVID 19.

Of course someone did!

This is an example of why I worry, as well. My fellow journalists like to strain to find “connections.”

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nobody’s trying to bar her from a personal relationship with God … except maybe her religion is.

But that’s an argument for a different thread.

OscarMadison and lakefront like this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Are you gonna take the vaccine?

Hmmm...I think I'll try my first poll thread!

lakefront likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

We had a student who tested positive attempt to return to school.
    She was told she couldn't.
    She said her dad said it was just the flu and she had to come anyway.

That's what we're dealing with.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Call Child Protective Services and let them handle it.

Baron Scicluna and lakefront like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted