1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yes. Right now, absolutely.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Too little too late, I'm afraid.

Now we're about to be overwhelmed.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If you tell people to do something they cannot do, they're gonna do it anyway, and they'll do it more often than if you'd said, "do that thing as little as you possibly can."

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't disagree, but this: "stay the hell home as much as you possibly can, but when you do go out, minimize human contact and wear your mask."

is what we have been / should have been saying since March.

Now that the second wave is upon us and we've topped 100,000 hospitalizations, "stay the fuck home," is just about all we have left.

As Rick points out, things are going to get really bad before they get better.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

My trips outside my home the last two weeks. Visits to supermarket and pharmacy. Liquor store (they have curbside pickup, never left the car on my pre-Thanksgiving visit). Hardware store (once). Neighborhood walks. That's it. That's about as minimalist as it can get, I think, without arranging food and medicine deliveries. If you tell people a regimen like that won't really protect them from the virus, many are likely then to say, "oh, fuck it, there's nothing I can do." The only message that has a chance of success is "the less you do outside your home, the safer you'll be."
    The situation in France in October was really grim. Their second lockdown, which partially ended yesterday, was far, far stricter than anything in the US, and drove case incidence down from 90K a day to less than 5K a day. But with such functions as closing all consumer retail but food/wine/bakeries and limiting travel outside the home to one hour with a one-kilometer radius from said home, they still didn't close the schools and they still allowed for outside the home activity. AND the restrictions were partially lifted (bars/restaurants still closed, travel now in 20 kilometer radius, many businesses reopened) for the Christmas period because the government, far more paternalistic and overbearing than anything Americans have ever seen, knew that if they weren't, citizens would just ignore them en masse.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I understand.

Same draconian shutdown in the UK has been effective. Also to be eased at Christmas.

But again, the failure of US government messaging earlier in the pandemic has made everything more difficult here.

Irrespective of people's willingness to follow guidelines, they have no idea what the guidelines are. Or have been. Or should be.

So a sort aggressive helplessness sets in, and we get

Shrugging_kaomoji.jpg

this guy instead.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The one exception being the news conference to hire Hugh Freeze. Might as well start breaking the rules early.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it has been a lack of good guidelines problem.

There is nothing mystical about this, and anyone who actually cared to take control of their actions easily had the information at hand -- readily at hand -- that we were dealing with a highly-transmittable infectious disease. There is no guideline or expert necessary to have understood somewhere around March that limiting contact with other people -- and as we learned, wearing masks for whatever benefit they provide -- were your only protections.

No expert or list of robotic guidelines is going to tell you anything more than this: the more contact you have with others, the more at risk you are.

There have been a mix of things going on, though, including people who were absolute morons and going to biker rallies or crowded clubs, people who didn't take it seriously because nobody they personally knew had died from it yet, and people needing to work (until a lot of them were laid off) because they are living paycheck to paycheck.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I go into the office one day a week via the subway. I’m now seeing all the available seats (leaving every other one open) filled and a few people standing. The attitude many people are taking is, “we’ll wear masks and minimize our risk, but we can’t do anything else because the government can’t/won’t do anything.” It’s every person for themselves.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It's fine. This shit is wrong and I think anger is a perfectly logical response for it, and I've kicked this around in my head quite a bit.

The more you get with the program the less progress is seen. The opposite of a great society.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You forgot to credit Yogi Berra.

12. Michael_ Gee

Political scientists on Twitter are coming up with (mostly serious) lists of three celebrities who could do ads in which they get the vaccine to convince others to take it. I didn't join in, but my suggestion would be a racially and gender diverse trio of bartenders. "Do this and you can see me again!"

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted