1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Only the article doesn't make that clear because apparently it's not known where he was infected.

3. RickStain

Fair cop. It says "become sick while on vacation," which I took to mean "was infected on vacation," but could also mean he noticed he was sick then.

TigerVols likes this.
  4. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

This is not anything new.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As much as I disagree with his French Laundry escapade, I've got to say I thought he's done a fairly good job in a land of 30M people. I'm glad its not "screw it, let's let them do whatever" here in California.

Its soooooo easy to say "he's an idiot" without proposing more substantive alternatives to what he's done. What's your alternative? Florida? Az? Our state would've been so screwed if that's what happened.

Leadership has always been to me providing substantive input when there's no one to do it, its not taking potshots from the outside and with the benefit of hindsight.

lakefront likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tight window.

Church opened Oct. 31. Pastor had to have been infected, developed symptoms, tested positive, developed pneumonia and died in a 32-day span, at least the first quarter of which he was on vacation.

Tight window to have caught it at the church.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At this point, I wonder what Newsom can do. Even in bright blue California, it ain't working.

9. RickStain

My alternative:

Focus heavily on making activities as safe as possible rather than banning them. Mandatory masks, improve airflow, require distancing, provide outdoor alternatives. Offer as much outdoor public space as you can to help alleviate the need for shutdowns. Anything you do shut down, you must compensate the owners and the employees for the last business/wages. Shut down entire streets to encourage people to spend their Friday nights downtown in a spaced, outdoor setting rather than having parties in their homes.

Heavy ad campaign explaining to people how to use safer alternatives and minimize exposure. "STFU and stay at home for Thanksgiving peasant" is going to be ignored. "If Thanksgiving is important to you, consider self-isolating for two weeks ahead of time and then having it outdoors." Convincing everyone to reduce their risk profile by 60% is significantly more effective than having half your population tune you out while you try to convince them to reduce it by 95%.

Newsom and other officials who think like him are the "abstinence only" of the COVID world. It's like trying to stop unwanted teen pregnancies by trying to scare kids into abstinence. It doesn't work.

FileNotFound, Cosmo and wicked like this.
  10. RickStain

He's got a credibility problem. The French Laundry was only part of it. He liked being on TV too much in the early days and said things like this:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article241349341.html

And he's now arbitrarily changed the rules no less than half a dozen times. You can't tell people "if you get the spread down to X, you can have Y" and then change the rules the moment they get to X, as has happened several times.

HanSenSE and Alma like this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Stay the fuck home.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The mistake we made in the beginning was pretending this would all go away if we went into brief lockdown mode.

What we should’ve been doing is preparing for a marathon, not a sprint, and doing what Mr. Stain said.

Of course hindsight is 20/20, because I bet zero percent of us thought that way. Ask me in March how long I’d be working from home and I would’ve said *maybe* two months.

OscarMadison and RickStain like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted