1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My problem with my red state Governor is he said “we will only reopen when X criteria is met.” We never met it and we still reopened completely. Bars are packed. Masks are optional.

And now the Dean of the states’s largest medical school says if you leave your house you will - not maybe, will - encounter somebody with it. But nothing is changing.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Understood.

And although I hate the "more testing = more cases!" Trump nonsense, that's EXACTLY why those criteria were IMPOSSIBLE to meet.

You ramp up the testing, you WILL see more cases. That's good in a vacuum --- people can quarantine and get ahead of their illness and not infect others. But it pretty much ensures that your case numbers will NEVER lower to the point your criteria initially demanded.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I agree with that. Maybe in the big churches, but thousands of congregations in this country are small, old or both. These are the people who can't change the clock on their oven for Daylight Savings, much less record, edit and distribute worship services on a weekly basis. And as someone whose church does a good job with that (for non-professionals), I can tell you it's spiritually not the same. I've discussed my struggles with isolation here. In-person church was one of my defenses against it. Church on YouTube actually makes it worse.

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Tons of churches went virtual on their own. And I reject the idea that churches were shuttered so dramatically. Large gatherings of people were banned, which naturally included churches. FFS families all over the country postponed funerals and memorial services and people act like not going to church was a far greater burden. JFC isn't the whole world God's cathedral?
    God's cathedral.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I thought the thinking from the medical community was the more testing you do, you identify who has the virus and they can be isolated/quarantined and minimize the interactions/possibility of further transmissions. Allow us to figure out the treatment/vaccine(s) without it rampaging out of control.

"I told you sos" are useless, I agree. How complicated is it to evaluate something in hindsight? (In my job I go to lengths to NOT come across as the "well looking back its easy to see you really f**ked up") However, I will say if the resolution had not been so politicized, then we as a country could have been in a better position. I still can't get over how with the tremendous resources we collectively have in this country we are one of the poorest performers in the world in addressing COVID. All the countries that are less developed and more dependent on open markets, etc. are doing better.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I meant that as separate options. Church outdoors *or* on youtube *or* with significantly improved ventilation and spacing.

UPChip likes this.
  7. RickStain

Maybe we should have been helping them have memorial services and funerals

Mngwa likes this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

One of the Catholic high schools here found a loophole and held its graduation this spring. They called it a "Mass" and everyone was socially distanced at their football field. It was against the spirit of the regulations, but I thought that was a creative way to help people connect responsibly. Some other schools did graduations at drive-ins.

RickStain likes this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We're a nation of contradictions. The nation that boasts it's the "most free" dwarfs the world in per capita incarcerations. Five times the world average.

A country whose beloved leader boldly said "Ask NOT what your country can do for you" is inexorably moving toward having our government do more and more for us.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

My sister in law was supposed to go to a funeral last week. My 90something year old FIL begged her not to go. She said she'd be careful, but wanted to go. Once she got there, because of a recent tragedy in her own life, she was unable to get out of the car. It probably saved FIL's life. At least four people at the funeral now have Covid.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think the idea of going back to March or April with 20-20 hindsight is so disingenuous. We were all flying by the seat of our pants on a disease with constantly evolving information. I will give politicians -- red and blue -- some grace at that point. Now? If you've dug in as a COVID truther, then you suck.

JC, Baron Scicluna, qtlaw and 3 others like this.
  12. RickStain

would those four people have still gotten sick if funerals were held outdoors? If PPE was provided? If the government had given the funeral home a grant to explore better ventilation? If they had found a way to have it via teleconference?

you gotta give people alternatives or else they’re just gonna do it anyway behind your back, as those four did

Draft saved Draft deleted