1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's far easier to loosen restrictions ("Oops, our bad. You don't need masks") if necessary than to increase them ("Oops, our bad. Masks everywhere!").

"Idiots" heard that because that's what was said:

"They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus."

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

In the 1700s doctors said leaching was an effective way to treat disease.

And since "no take-backsies!" is a thing, I continue to use leaches to this day.

HanSenSE, Mngwa and Inky_Wretch like this.
  3. BTExpress

In the 1700s, leeching was one of the most effective things in the toolbox. Over time, more effective things were developed.

On Feb. 29, masks were the most effective thing in the toolbox. Surgeon General said they weren't.
    On Dec. 4, they're still the most effective thing in the toolbox. Until the vaccine.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. Justin_Rice

When was the last time you heard the President of the United States say "Masks are the most effective thing we have. Please wear them"?

Mngwa likes this.
  6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Since when do magas listen to the surgeon general? He's a doctor. With one of those learned degrees.

7. BTExpress

Do you want your president to defer to experts or not? I just showed what a leading expert said at the tipping point of virus transmission in this country.

But since you asked:

““We’re asking everybody that when you are not able to socially distance, wear a mask, get a mask. Whether you like the mask or not, they have an impact. They’ll have an effect. And we need everything we can get.'' --- Trump, July 20

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  8. Justin_Rice

Clarified that for you.

Do you really live and work in a world where you never update your position based on emerging evidence? Is it truly "whatever you tell me the first time better be right, because I'm never, ever reconsidering emerging evidence or requirements"?

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And then the experts started changing their minds because we got new information and the president could have just as easily said, "With the new information, it is best we all wear masks. The guidelines from the CDC and our top experts now recommend them. So please wear a mask. Wear your MAGA mask and go to the store."

Patchen and HanSenSE like this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yes because the vast majority of the great unwashed are (a) on Twitter and (b) follow the US Surgeon General and (c) rely on his word as Gospel.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I mean, really, are you going to argue Trump has been pro-mask? Really?

lakefront likes this.
  12. BTExpress

Of course not. Justin asked a question. I answered it. I do that sometimes.
    He hates masks. I know it. You know it. We all know it. But Justin asked when did he ever encourage wearing them . . . so I showed him.

On this issue, there was NO EMERGING EVIDENCE THAT CHANGED ANYTHING.

Masks were correct in February. They are correct in December. They have been correct in Asian countries for many years.
    NOTHING. CHANGED. ABOUT. MASKS.

Draft saved Draft deleted