1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

About rimming in Vermont during the pandemic ...

[​IMG]

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

We were totally unprepared as a country for this. We had millions needing masks but only thousands of them.

So the logic, correct logic, was get them to health care workers first since they need them the most.

Did everyone forget the DIY masks of April?

lakefront and OscarMadison like this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Napa County not included, so good news: The French Laundry is still open.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

All this talk about who is "first in line" for the vaccine makes me laugh. My guess is the Kardashians have it by Feb. 1.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Then say *that*. Instead, medical experts went with weasel-worded "We don't even know if masks help" to intentionally give people the impression that they don't.

We use this kind of half-truth, "not our fault if people misinterpret it" that we deem OK because it influences behavior in the way we hope, then wonder why our experts don't have credibility.

lakefront likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

#SECValues
    These people are up in arms because they can't play a football game on the originally scheduled day. Get the fuck over it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

By my back-of-the-napkin estimate based on numbers I've gleaned from people much smarter than me, roughly 1 in 50 Americans will be infected this week.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If in trying to decide how to influence people's behavior, you have one option that appeals to their self-interest and another that appeals to their altruism ... go with the self-interest. It only gets sticky when later on you need to "recalibrate" ...

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think you mean "will show up as having been infected," but ... yeah. Not out of the realm.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Agreed. Reminds me of one of the most ridiculous regulations I remember seeing during the depths of the spring was somewhere in Italy, maybe Lombardy, maybe not, where they banned bicycle riding of all kinds on the grounds that treating crash injuries would tax hospital capacity.

Pete Davidson did a Weekend Update bit on the NYC Health Department's take on this in May. I'd find it for y'all, but I'm lazy.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Watching Fauci on CNN. Shocking to hear smart people discuss Covid in a rational manner

HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted