1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You know what? All due respect but I’m not taking advice from someone who say “I think” and is not even a radiologist.

I’m trusting the people who have spent hundreds of thousands of hours in the lab and people studying epidemics and viruses, the virologists, the people looking through the microscopes, not the guy reading the x rays and not the guy with a shotgun in his gun rack.

Mayne when people die because they can’t get a bed or a doctor will this finally get people to stop and follow directions.

Directions change because facts change, it’s so obvious in hindsight. Ripping earlier proclamations only works if you’re only using info available at that time.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No one gave you any advice.

3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

My friend, RickStain is crazy smart!

4. RickStain

This will be the week we find out if Thanksgiving merely reversed the gains we were starting to make or if it took us past that to even worse heights.

5. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I wish the food store would ask people to leave. After a while they will wear one because the need to shop for food. Or they can do delivery.

2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Misplacedfrustration my apologies

RickStain likes this.
  7. lakefront

The only problem is that people can not stay away from each other. I knew when we opened up in late spring and I saw the behavior of people putting in kayaks. No masks, mixed groups. Then the groups get a little bigger and before you know it a trump rally breaks out.
    But seriously, people just have a hard time keeping their distance.

wicked and OscarMadison like this.
  8. lakefront

I guess I should have phrased that better, no surprise there, but that tweet I replied to didn't make sense. iirc he actually said they don't help the public but they help medical workers.

here is the quote and my issue is only with the part about catching the covid.......If they don't actually work on a person in the public how do they work on medical folks....

"They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!"

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I agree with most of this. I went to a very red area for Thanksgiving (didn't leave my in-laws house the entire time and only saw them and my brother-in-law's family. Nonetheless, wife and I are quarantining just in case before we resume going to the store, my classroom and other family) and the level of mask wearing was frankly shocking. We stopped at Harris Ranch to use the bathroom both to SoCal and back to the Bay Area and the only people not wearing masks were those outside around their car and not near others. They were socially distant and wearing masks inside. The restaurant had a good outdoor setup so I was shocked.

That said, I go on Facebook to neighborhood groups and the number of people who insist this is a hoax is staggering. People in my burg stand on overpasses with Trump signs and setup shop on various corners to sign a recall petition against Newsom. It really doesn't help that some county sheriffs have come out saying they will not enforce the curfew order. Meanwhile my neighbors around the corner are throwing block parties (which they shutdown before the curfew).

I think a lot of the spread of happening because low wage earners are going in and don't have much protection. I have two students who either are confirmed to have covid or are strongly suspected to have it.

In some ways we can't do everything to stop this. In others, we really need to do more. Specifically a coherent plan from the feds to get everyone on board and a plan to make sure people have an income.

wicked and RickStain like this.
  10. RickStain

Correct. Which is why the proper response is to encourage people to gather in the safest way possible, not to tell them to STFU and stay in their homes for 10 months. Outdoor mixing is still ~20x safer than indoor mixing. When you eliminate options for outdoor activities, you're not eliminating people mixing. You're just driving them indoors, which is much worse.

11. RickStain

The truth is, once it became clear that an epidemic might be politically damaging to Trump, there was probably no chance to salvage the situation. You can't have coherent, effective pandemic policy when 40% of the country is following the whims of a mentally ill narcissist whose only impulse is to say or do whatever is the least embarrassing/most aggrandizing option in the moment, no matter what the future results.

But that doesn't mean everything we've tried to do working around/against him has been best. He has this amazing ability to turn any situation into a poop-flinging debacle where nobody comes out ahead. I'm willing to agree that the left's mistakes have been induced by being put into the impossible situation of trying to work around him, but there have definitely been tons of mistakes.

sgreenwell, garrow, UPChip and 2 others like this.
  12. lakefront

Most of them wore masks, I would guess at least 90%

Draft saved Draft deleted