1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It was remarkable, and yet completely unsurprising to anybody who knows JoAnne.

OscarMadison and Mngwa like this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This ain't that. This is dicking around to give the appearance of deliberation. It's "deliberation theater!"

Many, many facets of this should have been vetted before the Stage III results were even in. If some FDA personnel's time was wasted, too bad, so sad.

Not a dilemma in my book. The mollification of anti-vaxxers (and the like) shouldn't enter into the equation at all.

qtlaw, FileNotFound and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If only we had an elected person who could have seen this coming and instructed the FDA months ago that when the vaccine hits their desk, to productively do their job as safely and rapidly as possible.

Work in shifts... add staff...

Four days off is out of the question.

I wonder if that’s what was in the pandemic plan that every fucking President before this stooge helped to craft? You know, that thing he ignored in the transition.

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Interesting. But, it included this: Pfizer’s vaccine is now approved for use in the U.K. Americans have a right to ask why an American vaccine has been approved by the British but not by Americans. Some sympathetic to the FDA career staff have suggested that the U.K. was careless in approving the vaccine quickly, but the real story is how the American government bureaucracy wasted time.
    While it's true that Pfizer is an American company, it's also true it's a multinational company and the vaccine was engineered in Germany.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Much of that is entirely fair. Of his many failures, his inability to seize the bureaucracy and make it answerable to this moment (rather than the SOP that appears to have obtained) has been, to me, his greatest.

The idea that there was a standing "Break Bureaucracy in Time of Crisis" plan, though ... color me skeptical.

qtlaw likes this.
  7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

That was before my time. I was at art school in the East Bay trying to figure out if I wanted to make monsters for ILM. The big sports moment while I was there was seeing a German rugby team who had never played our version of oblong beat the stuffins our of our football, erm...team?

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

This is anecdotal on my part, but a lot of people are taking some serious hits to their mental health. Aside from the obvious, it's going to take more than a vaccine and some time away from home for a lot of people get anywhere close to where they were before March. I hope this is being factored in to our recovery.

wicked and FileNotFound like this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My working theory, having watched how they operate for a long time.

The FDA is like every government agency that exists for two things in practice (not in rhetoric): 1) To justify their existence, grow the bureaucracy and get bigger with more control over whatever it is they become the "regulator" for. 2) Use that regulation to benefit the big players who can afford to feed a boat load of money into the bureaucracy, either for corrupt enrichment of politicians who cash in on the power these agencies give them or to benefit the bureaucracy itself (see number 1) by allowing it to become bigger (which it then uses to push out competition for those players, under the guise of regulatory necessity).

The FDA relies on people having confidence in it to keep that bureaucratic power. And when Stephen Hahn allowed Trump to publicly put his fingerprints all over the agency (including the hydroxychloroquine mess), the bureaucrats realized that they did themselves harm and put the justification for what they do in jeopardy.

So now they are going to do the deliberation theater you are talking about, to show everyone how necessary and important they are again and try to undo some of the reputation harm they did themselves.

The irony is that the theater comes at the expense of Pfizer, which is the kind of company that typically has the FDA wrapped around it's pinky finger.

It won't hurt either of them too much, though -- even as the public under the thumb of them is the loser -- because Pfizer knows the vaccine is going to be approved anyhow, and it can use the time now anyhow to frantically fix its supply chain problems and manufacture vaccine.

But I think you are right. It's all a stupid show, completely unnecessary, and at the end of the day, the real harm the FDA does is in the unreasonable financial burdens it creates as roadblocks to therapies from small, innovative players who don't have the political juice and checkbook that a company like Pfizer has. Who knows what drugs and therapies we societally could have been benefiting from -- and at how much less cost?

TigerVols likes this.
  11. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

My friend, previously you argued that this vaccine had been rushed!

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

like two months ago, the blue states were threatening to boycott the vaccine if he did that

Jerry-atric likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted