1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It’s the equivalent of $15 per hour for 40 hours per week, and many people are working to make that $15 per hour the national minimum wage.

And that $600 per week is more than many current journalists are making.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

How can you make an assessment without seeing 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015...?

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It’s definitely more than just morons and there’s definitely a weather effect

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I hope someone writes a country song along the likes of....

"Remember those times, drinking by the river
    going down the dirt road, having a beer or 10.
    You said the virus was a hoax and now your dead.
    Shoulda worn a mask my friend. Shoulda worn a mask."

5. 2muchcoffeeman

maumann likes this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

In L.A., they shut down a 150-person house party last weekend. The civil libertarians and especially the self-appointed devil’s advocates among us will whine that this is a tremendous imposition on those people’s rights, but that oversimplifies things. These people would’ve been shut down even if times are good, and deservedly so.

Days after vowing to target coronavirus super spreader events, the Los Angeles County sheriff announced 158 arrests tied to an underground party in Palmdale, where officers recovered guns, drugs and a juvenile sex trafficking victim.

Deputies broke up a party Saturday night at a vacant house the party organizers had broken into, Sheriff Alex Villanueva said, calling the event "a flagrant violation of the governor's health order."

Officers took six firearms from the scene and rescued a 17-year-old girl who Villanueva said had been a commercially sexually exploited.

"Had we done the normal approach, break up the party before, the same victim would have been taken to the next location, so this actually rescued her from that," Villanueva said at a news conference Tuesday. "She would have been passed down to the next party."

Officers arrested 120 adults and 38 juveniles, including the "entire organizing network," Villanueva said. He described the group as "elusive."

The sheriff said the organizers broke into the home and used a rental truck to move in their party equipment.​

Nothing of value was lost here.

maumann likes this.
  7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Having been one myself, a 20-year-old moron (moronicus universitatis) needs to be out with the people to whom he is attracted.
    These parties are not going to stop as much as we would beg they must.
    The parties are going to need to be baked-in to the math.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think we're already seeing these choices - in those long food bank lines.

maumann likes this.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Something to think about:

Not everyone in Idaho ... or Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, South Dakota, etc. ... is an anti-masker, anti-Vaxxer, gun-toting racist. Just like not everyone in California, New York, Portland or Seattle is religiously following every precaution and guideline for COVID.

Are there a bunch of anti-science idiots in Idaho? Unfortunately there are quite a few. But not all of us have potatoes for brains.

Unlike some posters at SJ.com.

FileNotFound and OscarMadison like this.
  10. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That is a very good point.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Easy. Just like I did it.

My assessment might be wrong, mind you. But I'm not aware of any particular reason why 2018 and 2017 might differ from 2019 vis-à-vis rent payment. I'm all ears, though.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They do year over year comparisons. Since the pandemic, the number of people who are behind in rent has been up every month from anywhere between 2.5 percent and 10 percent compared to the prior year. It may not sound like much, but those percentages can amount to anywhere from several hundred thousand to more than a million people compared to the same month in the prior year.

Draft saved Draft deleted