1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The ones I've seen noted that: 1) the two had allergic-reaction histories; and 2) the reactions were handled with the usual epi-pen business.

RickStain likes this.
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It was, in fact, predicted by the trial. Their data noted that 0.6% of people who got the Pfizer vaccine and 0.5% of the people in the control group had an adverse anaphylactoid reaction.

It is also completely standard in the administering of vaccines. A 15-30 minute wait after vaccination to make sure there's no severe reaction is industry-standard advice for all vaccines.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Two in U.K. Suffer Allergic Reaction to Pfizer’s Covid-19 Vaccine

COVID vaccine allergic reaction: How Pfizer side effect may affect US

Whatever the allergic reactions you are talking about were -- and they may have been mild allergic reactions -- Pfizer reported to the MHRA and the FDA that there were no serious safety concerns. Unless they were negligent or lying, there is no way they found that more than 1 out of every 2000 people may have a severe anaphylactic reaction -- which is life threatening -- and they didn't make regulators aware of that up front.

4. RickStain

You keep using the phrase "severe anaphylatic reaction" but I haven't seen it used in any sources. Although to be fair, I can't read the WSJ article as I am not a subscriber

Everywhere I've seen has described an "adverse anapyhactoid reaction," which is a very wide category that covers a lot of ground from mild to serious. A "severe anaphylactic reaction" is a small subcategory of that larger category and much more life-threatening and serious.

swingline likes this.
  5. RickStain

Also from one of Ragu's links:
    "
    Dr. Gregory Poland, who runs the Vaccine Research Group at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, said he thinks the British regulators over-reacted.

People who have had anaphylactic shock reactions to previous vaccines should avoid this one, he said, but those with reactions to something other than a vaccine should still be allowed to receive the COVID-19 shot for now, said Poland, who studies the immunogenetics of vaccine response in adults and children."

6. The Big Ragu

If you need epinephrine immediately after getting injected -- and both of the those UK recipients who had adverse reactions did -- it means something serious is happening. Epinephrine is given when you have a serious allergic reaction to something. It means their throats or mouths were swelling up and/or they were having difficulty breathing.

7. RickStain

Did it say they were injected with epineephrine, or simply that they carried those with them as an illustration of how severe their allergy problems are?

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I used to think you were an intelligent asshole. Then the steel bullshit and this, from your link,...

This is a 7.8 percentage point, or 894,864 household decrease from the share who paid rent through December 6, 2019 and compares to 80.4 percent that had paid by November 6, 2020. It should be noted that December 5th and 6th fell on a weekend in 2020 and therefore may not be a direct comparison to last year’s figures. These data encompass a wide variety of market-rate rental properties across the United States, which can vary by size, type and average rental price.

"While the initial rent collection figures for the first week of December are concerning, only a full month's results will paint a complete picture. However, it should not come as a surprise that a rising number of households are struggling to make ends meet. As the nation enters a winter with increasing COVID-19 case levels and even greater economic distress – as indicated by last week’s disquieting employment report - it is only a matter of time before both renters and housing providers reach the end of their resources,” said Doug Bibby, NMHC President.

Now they did mention the way the weekend fell at an odd time, but 7.8%? Yes, the people who are running this are looking at past years. I actually read what you posted.

9. The Big Ragu

I read yesterday that both of them were given epinephrine injections immediately and were recovering well.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Two out of how many? A thousand? Ten thousand? A hundred?

11. The Big Ragu

Definitely not a hundred thousand. Likely not even 10,000. They just started injecting people. Two had anaphylactic reactions on the first day.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So what's the beef? Scroll on down and look at the "Full Month Results" ... that's what I was looking at.

Draft saved Draft deleted