1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I know how the SCOTUS works; I also know how politics works.

The GOP is facing an existential crisis. You are saying that SCOTUS will abide by the rule of law and as a result send the GOP shuffling further off this mortal coil. I say, what FORCES them to do this? We've already seen a 5-4 vote that went against all precedence in the COVID case. It's not like SCOTUS will be executed at sundown if they take up the case and then rule in favor of the plaintiff.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It simply makes no sense.

Why do this? If you're wrong, which you almost certainly will be, you'll just say something like "I'm shocked SCOTUS did the right thing."

And if you're right, our functional democracy is over. You want to be able to shout "I TOLD YOU SO!" at the rest of us?

Why?

Sea Bass and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't know why you get off on the whole "we're all doomed" thing but it's silly. It's like you're so tied up with the "coup" bit that you're completely unwilling to accept the fact that you're obviously wrong.

You believe the Supreme Court is going to essentially end the democratic process to benefit Trump, a guy who keeps losing at the court over and over and over. It's beneath you.

poindexter likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Supreme Court majority would've been happy to overturn the election in favor of Trump if said election had been closer. But there aren't laws to be turned into pretzels by legal mumbo-jumbo. Bush v. Gore had an actual argument relating to some Florida counties getting recounts and some not. That's not the issue here. There is no issue except "Trump should win, because we want him to." Ruling in his favor now would just be saying, "democracy is done here, because sometimes our side loses." It would subject the nation to years of turmoil and violence, and not incidentally, give Trump permission to get rid of the Court if he felt like it. Again, these are very partisan people, and that might overrule their good sense, let alone commitment to the law. But it's a heavy lift for people who if they rule against him still have life tenure and enormous power.
    PS: Texas extended its early vote period by action of the Governor, not the legislature, precisely the move the suit says is unconstitutional. If Trump wins the suit, what's to stop Massachusetts from suing Texas on the very same grounds?

6. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

As Gee said, if it were one state and a few thousand votes they could probably find some justification. The legal argument here is, Trump should've won and the remedy we seek is SCOTUS saying Trump won. It's not happening.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You guys are taking me waaaaay too seriously.

That said, you all apparently have far more faith in our nation's rule of law than I do.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

where is pence?

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I have no confidence in the government but that letter from the Supreme Court was about as terse as it gets. If Trump could read he would know how firm that denial was.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They don't. None of them do.

HanSenSE and Webster like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.