1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

This is an underrated angle. The bad news is the only thing I think that will shut Trump up is his death or incapacitation. The good news is given that he's in his 70s, has all manner of bad health habits (not to mention the damage the COVID might have done), I think there's a distinct possibility he doesn't make it to the mid-terms. LBJ had the modern record of sorts, dying four years to the week after leaving the White House. Coolidge was just under four years, Wilson (who had a debilitating stroke in office and never really recovered) was about a month short of three years. Chester Arthur had a stroke 20 months after leaving office, and James K. Polk holds the all-time record, having left the White House in March of 1849 and being dead in June of cholera. And honestly, given Trump's mental state, I wouldn't be at all shocked if it was by his own hand.

maumann likes this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I know all of that but for any court to even begin, it needs to decide if you even have the ability to be there. Forget the bullshit nature of the case or the nonsense it's based on, does Texas even have a key to the door to get inside? That's essentially what I'm getting at that I'm hoping QT can offer a little me clarity to. How is Texas even pretending it has standing? I posited one crackpot answer and I'm wondering if I'm in the same galaxy as possible.

I mean if your friend punches you in the face, I can't sue your friend because your friend didn't punch me. I have no standing. No injury did or could happen to me. But if your friend punches you in the face while taking swing at me, I at least get in the door. So how is Texas trying to get in?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Supreme Court has the mandate to resolve disputes between the states. Any state may file an action asking it to intervene against another state. Last one of note was Nebraska and Oklahoma asking court to throw out Colorado's marijuana legalization. Court refused to hear case.

4. Spartan Squad

I'm not talking about is it in the right venue, I'm asking what justification is Texas using to get by the standing problem. The Supreme Court is, in theory, the venue, but they will toss the case without deciding anything on the merits if it says Texas had no right to sue in the first place.

At least Oklahoma and Nebraska had an argument they were being affected. The court just wouldn't hear it.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Split decision means electors stand. You must get both houses to agree to remove them.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I’m starting to think Twitchy is whipping up his base as a way of using civil war as a bargaining chip. He’ll call off the dogs if Biden pledges not to prosecute him and his family.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

He can get lackeys like Matt Gaetz and Ron Johnson to do it

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Manchin is a conservative Democrat. But he's also a loyal Democrat.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The Bear died four weeks and a day after coaching his last game for the Tide, PAWWWWWULLL!

TigerVols and Woody Long like this.
  12. Spartan Squad

Gee, this won't happen. It is a joint session of Congress. They don't take separate votes. Any objection to the vote is considered by all 535 members at the same time. If 50 senators vote to reject the results, then the EVs pass 272-263.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.