1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And here we go again. The bot armies online are pushing "four people in the vaccine trial developed bell's palsy."

Bell's palsy has an annual incidence rate of 15-30 per 100k people. 4 people out of 43,000 over 5 months of trial is almost exactly average.

heyabbott likes this.
  2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

they're worried about Bell's palsy and not the reported erectile dysfunction in covid sufferers - seems very on-point for 2020.

cyclingwriter2 and HanSenSE like this.
  3. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

These are people who saw the very real damage that Bell's Palsy did to Jim Ross. They likely also believe that Jim Ross is a journalist and professional wrestling isn't staged.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

You are presented with evidence a terrible disease is about to ravage your country.

To deal responsibly with this, turn to page 38. To ignore it, turn to page 112.

Your opponent has defeated you in a presidential election

To grudgingly accept, turn to page 109. To launch a series of anti-democracy lawsuits, pressure politicians into overturning the election and feed your cult members your biggest lie yet, turn to page 201.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

6. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Die Hard

lakefront likes this.
  7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

WoodyLong-

I read an unfavorable review of the Netflix adaptation of Hillbilly Elegy, their dedicated monograph. It purposefully avoids politics and focuses on joblessness/despair of working-class whites.

We're going to get wind up getting more movies about these slackers than the forefathers who built the country from nothing.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I am not trying to convince any skeptics about the vaccines. If they want to get out of line and move me that much closer to getting my two doses and getting my life back, then hip hip hurray. Because at that point not only will I have protected myself, I will have done all I can realistically do to prevent spreading it to them. After a lifetime of carrying along the people who slept through class while the rest of us did the required reading, I have burnt through my capacity to care.

Slacker and matt_garth like this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Washington AP
    A senior manager with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told congressional investigators she was ordered to delete an email suggesting attempted political interference by the Trump administration in coronavirus reports to the public, according to a transcript released Thursday.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

GOP 2020: The party of fascism, disease and death. Never forgive, never forget.

TowelWaver and garrow like this.
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

So a minority of states whose attorneys general are all republicans and a minority of congressmen who are all republicans want to over turn the landslide election of a democratic President-Elect? So self-less!

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I previously posted on this but I just saw this article in the Wall Street Journal which has excellent statistics. It explains how inefficient the big, old steel mills like those remaining in Pittsburgh, Gary, etc. are obsolete. U.S. Steel is buying the Big River plant in Arkansas. The Big River Plan reuses scrap rather than making steel from scratch such as the gigantic old plants.

"Big River which opened in 2017, is capable of producing 3.3 million tons of steel annually. That is more than the raw steel capacity of U.S. Steel’s huge Mon Valley Works near Pittsburgh.

The mill employs 650 workers. Automation and less labor-intensive production processes allow Big River to produce about 5,000 tons of steel annually per employee, compared with an average of 650 tons annually per employee at U.S. Steel’s mills."

Two/thirds of American steel now comes from these mini-mills. Older plants like those in Pittsburgh are now dinosaurs.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    Driftwood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.