1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Nurse bit his sister

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Sidebar to the Times article said we could get back to "normal" by fall 2021. That seemed kind of dark. I mean, I don't expect to get vaccinated before Memorial Day, but I still think that MLB (probably with limited attendance) and the Olympics will be happening on time.

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

It was a nasti noorse.

TrooperBari and Spartan Squad like this.
  5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I think that's an underpromise/overdeliver thing. Politicians aren't going to tell you "Woo, it's all gonna be fine in April, don't even worry about it!" Because if something goes wrong, they have a big problem. But vaccinating the elderly will take the bite out of this thing really fast, and spread was probably going to slow down soon even without a vaccine.

Plus, they can't formally plan around vaccines that haven't been approved yet, but the Oxford and Johnson and Johnson vaccines are both on track to be approved in February. If that happens, the supply issues go away overnight.

I wouldn't feel weird about planning an event for April right now, although I probably wouldn't make it non-refundable.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I remain interested to see vaccination rates by state in about six months.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Yeah, I live in Minnesota. Other than high school hockey, there isn't really jack shit happening between Christmas and the spring thaw anyway. I highly suspect MLB will be able to get their hands on vaccines for spring camp (and by that point, I'm guessing it won't be that awful ethically), and north of St. Louis, no one wants to go to an MLB game outside before mid-May anyway. Make Opening Day a special command performance for frontline health care heroes or something like that and play ball.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Open the season on time and allow fans back on Memorial Day weekend. I'm guessing it'll be a bit hit in most places. Atlanta and St. Louis may have problems because nobody will have gotten the vaccine, having objected on religious or political grounds.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

For others?

Spartan Squad likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

My distrust in Alabama's ability to do this competently is big enough to fill the Grand Canyon. There isn't one in this state big enough to contain my doubts.

Draft saved Draft deleted