1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Republican
    Idiots
    Court
    Obstruction

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

These scumbags seriously have ZERO self-awareness
    1D292AE6-E705-42AB-9160-178A46F2BC4E.jpeg

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The folks on Parler are big mad at McConnell now and have returned to Twitter to get "Cocaine Mitch" trending.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I saw that but I don't get it? What's with the coke reference?

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I believe it was disgraced mining magnate Don Blankenship who framed his Republican campaign for Senate by running AGAINST McConnell, coming up with some truly unhinged "Cocaine Mitch" ads in which I think he superimposed that goiter over Pablo Alvarez's face or somebody from "Narcos" because McConnell had taken a particular vote in some drug legislation.

Cocaine Mitch: Don Blankenship’s factually dubious attack on McConnell, explained

EDIT: Apparently his wife's shipping company had some questionable cargoes.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

McConnell's campaign made $70k selling "Cocaine Mitch" t-shirts.

All of Mitch McConnell's nicknames, from Midnight Mitch to Grim Reaper

Cocaine Mitch
    The backstory: This nickname came via a political candidate from a neighboring state to Kentucky. In May 2018, coal executive and Don Blankenship, a candidate running in the West Virginia GOP Senate primary, promised to “ditch ‘Cocaine Mitch’” if elected.

Blankenship, who eventually lost in the primary, created the nickname in an attempt to link McConnell to a report that 90 pounds of cocaine were discovered aboard a vessel owned by the father of McConnell’s wife, U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao.

How McConnell reacted: It'd be an understatement to say that McConnell's team had some fun with the longtime senator's new nickname. The night Blankership lost the election in May 2018, the McConnell campaign used a poster from the Netflix series "Narcos" and photoshopped the Senate majority leader's head on the body of actor Wagner Moura — who portrays Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar — covered in cocaine with a message directed at Blankenship: "Thanks for playing."

And in May of last year, Team Mitch started selling red T-shirts that feature a faceless black and white image of the Kentucky Republican covered with cocaine powder and "MITCH" on the front and “Team Mitch Cartel Member” on the back.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

And apparently Mayor Pete has been offered Secretary of Transportation.

???

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Old Mr.Trump'll be soon on his way
    He'll postpone all your troubles to another day
    Ev'rybody's waitin' for the man with the hat
    'Cause pardon season is comin' again
    He's got more than a handful, it's not gonna stay full
    He's got one for every member of his famil-ay
    Ev'rybody's waitin' for the man with the hat
    'Cause pardon season is comin' again
    He'll be here with the answers to the prayers
    That you've made throughout the year
    You'll get yours if you've done ev'rything you should
    Extra special good
    He'll make this December, the one you'll remember

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Any important GOPers croak today? No? Well then, I'll pray harder.

Driftwood and heyabbott like this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A week ago, there were reports that he might get ambassador to China.

Which I thought was great for his resume, because one knock was that all he has done is mayor of South Bend, no foreign policy experience, etc.

I thought he was being rewarded for being a good soldier and going on Fox News (and toying with them) as a surrogate for Biden.

Secretary of Transportation seems like such a step down to me. Plus, it's the kind of post that usually goes to an Elaine Choa type (corrupt, lining their pockets), not someone with serious ambitions.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Kind of odd, though one article I read said he could get some profile for being the point man for a Biden administration infrastructure push (insert Infrastructure Week joke here). Seems to me he'd be better served building a war chest to go after a Senate seat, though I suppose three or so years at Transportation could set him up for a run at Mike Braun (who's still in his first term), as opposed to Young (who's got more experience and appears to be more moderate) in 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.