1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

AP Stylebook:

Use Dr. in first reference as a formal title before the name of an individual who holds a doctor of dental surgery, doctor of medicine, doctor of optometry, doctor of osteopathic medicine, doctor of podiatric medicine, or doctor of veterinary medicine: Dr. Jonas Salk.
    The form Dr., or Drs. in a plural construction, applies to all first-reference uses before a name, including direct quotations. Do not continue the use of Dr. in subsequent references.
    Do not use Dr. before the names of individuals who hold other types of doctoral degrees. Instead, when necessary or appropriate: Cassandra Karoub, who has a doctorate in mathematics, was lead researcher. Incoming U.S. first lady Jill Biden, who has a doctorate in education, plans to continue teaching. Incoming U.S. second gentleman Doug Emhoff, a lawyer, is joining the faculty of Georgetown Law.
    In a list: Stephanie Sanchez, Ph.D.

OscarMadison and ChrisLong like this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

This. Some mouth breather who may or may not have actually met high school graduation requirements doesn't get to decide if someone is really a Dr. or not. Just because their dumb asses don't know that there is more than one kind of doctor, it's not up to the title holder to lower themselves to some perceived level.

TowelWaver and Neutral Corner like this.
  3. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Really?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Don't most states require teachers to get a graduate degree after X amount of years?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

This crap about Jill Biden's title is part and parcel of distrust and resentment of higher education. I don't know when this happened in our country but when the hell did educating yourself somehow become elitist? I want my doctor, lawyer, accountant and yes, my elected officials, to be smarter than I am. I know Trump disdains educated people all the time but I think this attitude has been out there fore awhile.

Fred siegle, wicked, HanSenSE and 8 others like this.
  7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

By buy, I mean get their Masters from diploma mills. In California, advanced degrees mean a lot more salary.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There are jobs in this society where you get paid according to the number of letters after your name. Hospitals are one - it's tough to get an RN, and they do get paid - but they supervise two to three times as many people in the unit than they used to. You need to get a Masters to get into real money. I know a kid who is finally out of school after getting her Masters in social work, and she's friggin' starving in Atlanta. They have to get a Doctorate to get paid decent. Education, particularly at the university level, is another such. Hell, it's the business model of education. When you work for Coke, you drink Coke.

"The only reason they got the degree was to increase their salary"? Isn't that why basically everyone gets a degree? I mean, we like being an educated person, some of us anyway, but the driving motivation for the degree is that it leads to a job making more money than if you didn't have one.

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

He's the one they call Mr. Feelgood, Ph.D
    He's the one that makes ya feel alright
    He's the one they call Mr. Feelgood, Ph.D
    He's gonna be your Frankenstein if you're talking about the doctor who you can also refer to with the title of dr. because he had a medical degree but if you're talking about the monster he doesn't have a name which makes him like the streets in the place from that u2 song

10. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

This is the 2020 equivalent of Obama putting dijon mustard on his hamburger. A bunch of nonsense to gin up resentment and distrust.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

An EdD (what she has) is not even close to the same thing as a PhD say in molecular biology or astrophysics, which is difficult to earn. It's not even as academically rigorous as a PhD in education.

This is my subjective opinion. ... But not all "Dr." titles are equal. You can get an EdD in 3 years, going part time, while you work a full-time job. I personally don't look at someone with that kind of degree with any more reverence than I do someone with a garden-variety MBA from a night program.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Amazing how GOP bullshit gets the Dems chasing their tails. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.