1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 15 thread -- Starry nights at Lambeau

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 15, 2020.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

See the post above yours.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, they do get twisted like the top of a pickle jar in those piles at the end of the play ... or so I've heard.

... or you get too close to Cordarelle Patterson:

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know - these "once a generation" QBs seem to come as frequently now as "100-year" storms. And tend to do a lot less damage than the latter.

4. DanOregon

The highest paid coach in the league (though I'm fairly certain Belichick has a piece of the Pats by now) hasn't won a playoff game in his last nine seasons, and won more than nine games just once in that span. Granted he did win a SB with a team Tony Dungy built and his star appeal did help make Vegas happen, which isn't a small thing. And I like the Oakland Raiders shout out tonight. But damn, that defense.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

There are no guarantees but who are these once in a generation QB’s you speak of?

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  6. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

You take Lawrence without question. Not even sure why you would even consider going a different direction.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    JC and sgreenwell like this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Do the Raiders teach their db's that grabbing the receiver before the ball gets there, is job 1?

Good lord, why not frigging try to cover the guy, instead of grabbing them at every moment?

The Raiders dbs are garbage.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

9. DanOregon

I'd argue that Mahomes, Murray, Luck, Lawrence, Tua, Darnold, Cam, Baker, Burrow, and Herbert have ALL had the OIAG tag at some point - and you have two others Rodgers and Brady who are in the GOAT conversation. So excuse me for being unimpressed with the Lawrence hype. Yes you take him number one - and part of the reason is that no other team will give you the haul in exchange for the number 1 to make it worthwhile. And why won't they give you the haul? Because they have a decent enough QB (or better) and the pieces around him to keep him decent enough or better. The Jets don't have that supporting cast.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The hagiographic deification of Al Davis (and his son) was an historic broadcast low, even by the NFL's network lapdog standards.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think half the guys in your list don't have the hype that Lawrence has coming out of college, which strikes me as being close to the Peyton Manning level. I think Luck was considered a pretty sure thing too, and it's not like he was disappointing, except in the sense that he got injured because they didn't do a great job protecting him. I get the point you're making, but I think that makes more sense when there are guys like Baker or Darnold at the top of the draft board, who were regarded more as "these guys have a pretty good shot at becoming really good" then the confidence people have in Lawrence. I'd also argue that for the Jets specifically, they *need* a player like Lawrence to build around, as opposed to a Pu Pu Platter of other guys. You're not going to be able to attract any decent free agents if you have a shit sandwich at QB, and Mariotta strikes me as close to worthless for the Jets, given his issues staying healthy long-term. Mariotta is the new Matt Moore - absolutely great backup that you want, but there is 0 chance you can play him 16 games.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

First off, of those you mentioned, the only ones I can recall getting that kind of hype on a widespread basis are Mahomes, Luck, Lawrence and Tua.

Burrow was called "pro ready" and people said he would likely be a star right away, but he didn't get the same hype as, say, Tua (who probably would have been drafted before Burrow if he hadn't gotten hurt). Last night I heard Bradshaw compare Herbert to Elway and Marino, but that's Bradshaw.

Murray and Newton (and Lamar Jackson) are among those who people have said are going to "change the game" with their style of play, but I don't think that translates into the "once-in-a-generation" thing you're alluding to.

And I cannot recall ANYONE ever saying Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield are "once-in-a-generation" quarterbacks.

There is a difference between saying someone is going to be a "franchise" quarterback or even a "great" quarterback and calling him a "once-in-a-generation" quarterback.

Draft saved Draft deleted