1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I really want to think Bill Kristol is full of it, but ...

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I’m not eating crow yet. Unfortunately.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

We're about to find out if the Republicans love Trump more than they hate Democrats.

HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  4. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Ha, giving $2,000 checks to Americans. NOW is probably when GOP turns on Trump for good.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The question is more like if they fear what he can do to them -- namely, primary challenges -- once he is out of office.

They probably do fear his sway over the idiots they are dependent on for their offices enough that they are going to try to massage it and weasel through things now rather than telling him to f off.

OscarMadison, TowelWaver and maumann like this.
  6. The Big Ragu

Trump having called anyone a RINO (which he did over and over again) is pretty rich, isn't it? Don't forget, he's also the "law and order president" who is handing out pardons to a rogue's gallery of scumbags every day now.

The fact that everyone could see that the emperor had no clothes 4 years ago and yet there is a large percentage of people who have refused to acknowledge that he's a con man and a grifter and would run any of us over on an impetuous whim, is depressing to me beyond anything.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was talking about Republicans at large - Trumpers in and out of DC. Does the $2k suddenly "stink" because Pelosi endorsed it?" Will the Dems hold back on overriding the veto now?

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I don't think Trump endorsements in Republican primaries defeated any incumbents in 2018 or 2020. And Noem, the Trumpist Governor of South Dakota, promptly said she'd wouldn't run against John Thune in 2022 right after Trump demanded Thune be primaried. Incumbents are hard to beat. I mean 2018 was an historic wave year for the House and over 90 percent of incumbents running for re-election were re-elected.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

I think you are right. Which is what I had in mind on the "massaging" and "weasel through" comment. The theme in primaries for successful Trump-backed candidates was to go after the other candidates as "never Trumpers," and to talk up how you were always on board with Trump, even though most of them weren't.

On the spending bill, I would guess the majority of them are not going to jump on board with a multi-trillion dollar addition to the bill because of Trump's mercurialism, but they will try to talk their way around it (rhetoric vs. action) to weather the storm.

maumann likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

The bill's already been passed. It's on Trump's desk. He's got five days to decide what to do before the government shuts down. Actually, he doesn't have to do anything, which is always a move that appeals to him. He can just let the bill lie there and the government shuts down. Any additional monies would have to be added in a separate bill UNLESS both houses do so by unanimous consent, which will not happen.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So what's the end game with the stimulus?

I almost think McConnell planned it this way.

12. Michael_ Gee

No, he didn't. This is just Trump eating the pieces in the chess game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.