1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I never thought I would see no-haggle car buying, so maybe this stupid custom of tipping will have its end of days as well.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I know, right? let's just let Jared and his wife have the $30.3 million they stole and to hell with the single mom working at the diner. She doesn't need no tip money.

Fred siegle likes this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I worked in a (high end) restaurant for my entire college career, from dishwasher (great job BTW to give you an appreciation of how fortunate you are NOT to do that as a lifelong career) up to the dinner waiter/server (top of food chain). Its been a while but the system is still in place I believe.

Server tips out to everyone else, busboys, cooks, line prep (expediters), bartenders, dishwashers based on the expected course of conduct at end of shift under watch of floor manager. We did not tip the hostess. I basically ended up with about 80% of the night's tips after tipping out. When I was working, I got minimum wage PLUS tips. I think nowadays its half min wage plus the tips.

For a youngster, it was a great gig. I worked alongside guys (male only on floor, not sure that flies nowadays) for whom this was their career. In the mid 80's, I'd clear at times over $100 a night, plus the min wage, for a 4-5 hours of work. The pros had to feed their family or at least their lives. They worried about health insurance, etc. The world's inequities were highlighted to me, I saw those pros, the cooks with families, and older guys or frankly unattractive guys, or not polished enough, who couldn't get the opportunity to be a server, they were dead-ended at busboy or in the kitchen

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Service compris. A 20 percent surcharge is added to every restaurant/bar bill in France. No muss, no fuss, no math needed.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Mr. Pink agrees :)

bumpy mcgee and TowelWaver like this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I don't see how tipping is bothersome. Its part of the deal; we all know it when we walk into the restaurant don't we? If anything we have more control than say the Francos, why complain? (If I got 20% automatically, that would've been fantastic).

9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Because the people working their asses off are making a joke for a wage and many people tip well below the 15-18-20 guidelines.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Tipping, like wearing a mask so somebody's great aunt doesn't die after a lifetime of doing right by people, used to be part of a civil society. That's not coming back, no matter how rosy Joe is.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I tip 33% minimum for in-person service. Anyone working a restaurant job needs that extra cash more than I do

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's not so much bothersome at conventional places. But we're full of services in which tipping is unsure.

There are tip jars on counters where the only "service" is the person behind the counter giving you your order.

There are buffet restaurants where the customer gets his own drinks, gets his own silverware, gets his own napkins, fills his own plates, brings them to his own table.

Occasionally a staffer will come over and ask if I want a refill of my drink (which I would have been happy to retrieve myself). That's the service. I know she's making shit . . . but tip for that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.