1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Seems the GOP will defy Trump after all. But not when it matters.

2. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

I’m way behind on this thread. I’m spending all my time scheduling practices that fit within my governors covid restrictions (we have been careful since September when we went inside, masks at all times on the court, temperature checks, and warnings to everyone to stay home if they don’t feel well, etc. ). For the last 2 weeks we’ve only done small group, no more than 3 players on a court, but scheduling them is a bear. We’ve had several players/parents in our club test positive, but none of them came from contact within our club. If the player involved had been at practice we quarantined everyone that was there with them for 14 days (it happened to several teams) and didn’t allow them to come back until they had a test.
    We were scheduled to play at a small tournament in the state, and when I found out they wouldn’t require masks I pulled our teams out. The next week the place had to close down for a period because they had 5 players test positive within their teams.
    We had another close call last week when one of our coaches was talking on the phone to a friend who is a surgeon. The surgeon noticed the coach sounded a little stuffed up and asked the coach if he had a cold, and the coach said he had a little congestion. The surgeon knew him pretty well and asked him if he ever had a cold in recent years and the coach said no (ice known him since he was 6 and honestly can’t remember him ever being sick). The surgeon said “go get tested, you have covid. Every person who comes to the emergency room at our hospital saying they have a cold has the virus.” He went and got tested that night, was scheduled to coach the next morning but canceled. He got a positive test result three days later. He had been out of state for a week before, just got home on Saturday and practice was Sunday morning.
    If he had been at practice and later found out, it would have been a disaster for us.
    The point is, if people were just smarter and took the basic precautions, there would probably be a lot less spread. And this ptobably belongs on the covid thread, but I’ll bring it back to politics. If trump had only embraced the advice of doctors and experts, we’d be a lot better off right now.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Why should he have any word on the drone strikes?

Why do assholes always bring them up when Trump does something objectively awful?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    Fred siegle and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Hey, he’s just asking questions™.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

6. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Any Republican with any kind of intention of giving it a shot in 2024 has two choices right now.
    A. Keep embracing the trump lunacy, hoping he can’t/won’t run again, and hope that they will be the one he gets behind.
    B. Start opposing trump now to try to nullify/marginslize him. I would put Sasse in this category (assuming he has plans for 2024).

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Right-wingers would never acknowledge this double-standard: Republicans are expected to fail at governing. They are expected to troll rather than put in any real effort. They are expected to "play to the base" which encompasses a whole range of crazy behaviors.

But when a Dem messes up, even when no lives are at stake (see the ACA website launch debacle), watch out, it's the end times.

Right-wingers won't acknowledge this double standard because it robs them of their security blanket: constantly whining about the unfairness of it all.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've mentioned this earlier - when is the last time Republicans were encouraged by the media to be "bipartisan" and to reach out to the other side. Or even to understand people who didn't vote for them?

Talk about the bigotry of low expectations.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

https://decider.com/2016/04/22/patton-oswalt-talking-for-clapping-netflix/

That’s not where the real battles are, anyhow. As he observes, how can RuPaul get into trouble for saying the word “tranny,” while evil politicians who learn the correct terminology and lingo remain able to slip evil policies past the public? At the same time, Oswalt acknowledges that even the president you may love (Republican or Democrat) at some point approved of a policy that’s evil even to you. For Bill Clinton, it may have been NAFTA; for George W. Bush, torture; for Barack Obama in Oswalt’s eyes, drones. Progress may bring America its first female president, and Oswalt hopes it does soon, or even an openly gay leader, but the comedian warns that something bad still will come from it.

Salon's Patton Oswalt peace summit

The reason that doesn’t exist for us is because of a very good quality we have: We will still question and criticize our own leaders. I love President Obama for gay marriage. But the fucking drones? There’s no way to justify it. It’s horrifying. But the Republicans just stick together; it’s A-plus all across the board. And that’s fucking terrifying. You can’t do that, you just can’t. I will take the messiness.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

There's no pardon for being the worst human on the plant.
    Thanks for voting, fuckheads!

11. Inky_Wretch

Butheremails!

Slacker and garrow like this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

"Polish his legacy" LOL

The media's cluelessness is appalling. Thanks for subscribing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.