1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    anyone can make bananas foster

Hermes likes this.
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Rick, why did you leave out the rest of the context, in which he states that he’s estimating on the low side because if he says 90 percent, which he thinks it is, no one will bother listening to him?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not a Trumpist. Never have been.

Just don’t love what I see from the progressive left at the moment. It’s too corporate, too “on brand.”

Hell, AOC is corporate. Calculated, too.

4. bigpern23

Please see my comment directed toward Rick. Fauci was saying that he was lowballing his estimates because polls showed country wasn’t willing to hear what it would really take. His lowball estimates were made with the goal of getting more people on board with what it would take to stamp out this disease.

5. bigpern23

I’m curious about what you mean with this critique.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

So many culinary sins such as this from the 60s and 70s that have yet to be atoned for.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's the same as "lying to try to get people to listen" but phrased more diplomatically.

How do you know he's not high-balling you now because he thinks you need to hear that, not because it's true?

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

You people are lucky that I am no longer able to post pictures here.

I would flood the zone with glorious pictures of food creations from my formative years.

The things that could be put in Jello!

Alas, I am Fenian now, before HC kindly helped him.

Best not to enable me.

Here's to a Happy 2021, you fuckers.

9. bigpern23

You didn’t answer my question.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And some Trumpist might say, "Well, Donald was downplaying the virus because the country wasn't willing to hear how serious it really was."

When you start playing fast and loose with the truth because you want the message to go down easier . . . that's what I reluctantly expect from politicians. Not scientists.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Then again, you could lie literally every time you open your mouth.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Practically, what difference does it make other than people nitpicking numbers that are all but meaningless to their lives and trying to politicize the inexactitude of epidemiology to fit some bullshit narrative and ridiculously create a villain out of Tony Fauci?

Anyone paying attention from the beginning knew that no one knew the thresshold for herd immunity -- and nobody knows now. There is no way possible to know until we get there.

The sad thing to me isn't that Tony Fauci feels he needs to lie to people to get them to stop acting like dumbfucks. The sad thing is that people ARE dumbfucks, some horrible elected officials have fed the worst insticts of those dumbfucks. ... and Tony Fauci was put in the position of not knowing how to deal with the misinformation and dangerous behavior they have fed.

I'd have preferred he had stuck to the epidiomology and played it straight, but he was in a position he should not have been in, and I can't criticize the guy for imperfectly doing what he thinks he needs to do to try to save the most lives possible. He shouldn't be in this position. If he is bad at doing it, or has made missteps, the story isn't Marco Rubio distorting what they guy has said and done to try to ridiculously turn him into a supervillain now. The story is that Marco Rubio HAS BEEN trying to turn the guy who had some expertise into the enemy all along -- trying to undermine him -- and that put people like Fauci into positions they shouldn't have been in.

Here is the reality. If Tony Fauci had come out in March and said over and over again, "Herd immunity might not be acheived until 95 percent of the population has antibodies," it wouldn't change anything about where we are right now, and it wouldn't have changed the dumbass behavior of people who were hell bent on acting like idiots. We'd still be in a position where our only hope is getting as many people immunized as we can. And it doesn't matter what "number" -- high-balled or low-balled -- Tony Fauci throws out there about where herd immunity might be acheived. He's smart enough to know that. The rest of us are capable of understanding it, too, if we care to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.