1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Again: Were the recommendations "built around" those things? Or were those things variables considered in their decision-making process?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Read their slides and you tell me.

3. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Meh. I'm killing five minutes between meetings :) You can't impose more power point on me!!!

Neutral Corner and doctorquant like this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Scarce resources meant vaccine distribution decisions. These are not matters of expertise, a la the discussion we were having about Tony Fauci, they were matters of judgment about how something that has been centralized and is a scare resource would be allocated.

The beauty of framing it as a quesion of their "expertise" is that someone could take whatever recommendations they came up with and criticized their "expertise" for not getting it right somehow.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There is no law of science that I am aware of that limits the existence of problems to one. One thing being a problem does not preclude another thing being a problem.

A large group of people saying 2+2=3 is a problem, but saying 2+2=5 to balance them out does not become correct because of them.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Quite hilarious to see Trumpists like Sen. Graham heaping praise on Trump for signing the stimulus bill.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's the most accurate post I've read this morning.

The "bad actors" of the world don't give a shit who the president is. They only want the country divided over who the president is (and, by extension, what he says).

No doubt. But it wasn't because Joe Six Pack picked up a bunch at Walmart. I don't believe hospitals and Joe shop from the same suppliers.

We're not talking about Manhattan Project invent a nuclear weapon here. CDC, Surgeon General demand mass mask production in March, and it's under way in no time. Yes, there would be an acute shortage for a short period of time, but production would have ramped up at, uh, warp speed. They were all over the place by May anyway. And finally, home-made masks were ALWAYS a fail-safe solution for the general public.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Fauci is an immunologist, not an epidemiologist. Plenty of epidemiologists all over the world knew *at the time* that mask-wearing was important and were surprised by his statement *at the time*.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You and I viewed that movie so differently. Mngwa is definitely right about the allusions to the Trump administration. Maybe it's a DC thing. The third season of Young Justice was full of them, too, though in that case, it was Lex Luthor.

That said, other than some crappy CGI, that character may have been the worst thing about the movie for me. He just went so over-the-top.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Let's not forget that a great deal of what was said in February, March and April - by Fauci and others - was said in response to / because of / or to redirect the torrent of misinformation coming from the podium in Washington DC.

Doesn't make it right, but trying to disseminate public health instructions and/or scientific information without upsetting Mad King Ludwig gotta be a challenge.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You didn't see them in the store, so the general public couldn't buy them up? You're funny.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ming-Wan Six Pack in China knew it as well.

You could not find a COVID image on the wire in January-February that didn't show somebody, anybody, everybody wearing a mask.

Posted on Feb. 29:

Also posted on Feb. 29:

The rest of the world knew something, but we "were still learning about this thing!!! And we didn't have enough masks!!! And the dog ate our PPE!"

This battle was lost before it was even fought.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    TigerVols and Jerry-atric like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.