1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"His name is Coach Saban. Not Nick. Not Saban."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Col. Nathan R. Jessup, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This poor guy.

Getting dragged from one end of the internet to the other.

I hope he doesn't post here.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

There's a way to butter a coach up without sucking his dick. It's called personal charm- that thing
    CoAcH SaBaN appears to have very little of.
    o
    A
    call me coach
    H

S
    a
    Bring me respect
    a
    N

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Exactly what I thought as well!

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Interesting nuggets from his Twitter replies ... apparently there were about 8 men who called him "Nick" and didn't warrant a reply or scolding from this guy. But the woman who called him "Saban" was treated like she farted in church.

I liked this one better, though. This is the fucking guy lecturing others on professionalism.

Roscablo likes this.
  5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

With his very self serving correction of someone else who is at a press conference, how much you want to bet the "once went fishing with Nick Saban" was work related?

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Man, if you're gonna' be the lead story on Twitter, at least make it for something good and not for going Kielbasa Queen on a football coach.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It is different calling the guy by his last name rather than his first. Don't know anything about the reporter who said, Hi, Saban. My guess is she just stumbled over saying Coach or Mister and it tumbled out.

I also would guess there's something to him picking out the woman to scold, but she did do something different than call Saban by his first name, which is what this guy is really complaining about -- and not specifically calling out the reporters who do that.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I've generally called coaches, coach, but mostly because I don't always remember their names.

SFIND, garrow, Baron Scicluna and 4 others like this.
  9. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

Man, how far up their own ass can someone be?

I'd like to see what Saban (Coach Saban!) would say about whether he cares how people address him? Guessing he probably couldn't care less. He's a football coach for Christ's sake. I'm sure someone will ask him about that soon in a presser.

Not trying to be too dramatic about it, but I do think this says something about where we are as a media landscape. A lot of reporters at that level have never been preps reporters before or anything, so they see these coaches as dignitaries first and football coaches next. They don't see these people as fellow adults trying to do their job as best they can just like every reporter in the room is doing.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Need to ask this guy how to refer to Tubs. More respectful to refer to him as "Senator" or "Coach?"

Makes me laugh even more about the WSJ discussing whether Jill Biden should use Dr.

11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I called him Nick a lifetime ago

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he specifically was critical of the use Nick, too, in his tweet. And plenty of people call people by just their last names. It usually in more of a casual environment but it isn't uncommon. Maybe her use put this guy over the top with his anger under such things, but it still looks bad that he basically called out a woman. In addition to all the other nonsense with it, such as his goofy locker room selfie and his fishing trip declaration. Not sure why he decided he is the name police anyway (other than he'sa total fan boy). All of this combined he kind of deserves the backlash.

I too almost always used "Coach" with pretty much every coach. Crap, I still do it with my kids' youth coaches.

Draft saved Draft deleted