1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry, but the hard turn to the reactionary right in our general politics since 1980 is pretty obvious.

Beginning with Clinton, the Democrats followed and are where the center used to be.

The Republicans went off the chart entirely when they nominated and elected Donald Trump - the worst man in America - president.

In part because Republicans have been chasing that shining city on a hill since . . . Reagan.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Kind of.

Especially in terms of the 'war on drugs' and other euphemisms like 'states rights.'

The conservative goal from Buckley forward has been to dismantle the welfare state built under FDR.

And whether we talk about Atwater or Norquist or Cruz or the Heritage Foundation, that's where we find ourselves today.

Still trying to take apart big government.

Trump is the blunt instrument Republicans reached for to do so.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So Republicans “went off the chart entirely” when they followed the “inevitable” course set in front of them by/since Reagan.

I’ll note that I don’t blame modern-day liberals in the least when they trot out the “from Reagan to Trump” bit ... But I don’t take ‘em seriously, either.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Trump was the inevitable endpoint of the overtly partisan media outlets starting with Rush.

The never ending series of, "You thought the last Democrat was bad. Wait till I tell you about this next one!" was always going to lead down some awful road.

But hey: Her emails, and at least he says all the right things about abortion!

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd place the blame there more than on Reagan.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Steve Earle’s father was an air traffic controller and Ronnie had no problem throwing him out of work

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Trump is the endpoint for American politics from the Reagan Administration to the present. Everyone in the White House played a part in chipping away at the dignity and integrity of the office of the commander in chief. Every damned one.

Easy to handwave it if it hasn't affected you in some way. And yes, that "blip" had a body count. You're really willing to trivialise almost 90K deaths to be right?

Edit: If Reagan's lack of action doesn't demonstrate apathy...wow. What's next? Are going to say slavery in the U.S. was okey-dokey because "it was the times?" Oh my God. You can kiss my still-shrinking butt. I've heard apologists like you all my life. You're full of shit.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Carter wanted everyone in America to turn down their thermostat and wear a sweater.

Reagan, the TV cowboy, cheerfully ushered in a make-believe age of infinite resources, endless consumer credit and corporate deregulation.

All of which was best expressed in 1987 by Oliver Stone. "Greed is good."

So a fake billionaire TV star eventually elected to run America "like a business" seems inevitable to me.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Stoney, OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I really want to be taken seriously by Republicans. That's what I'm all about right now.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Not to mention Lee Atwater is the direct political ancestor of Steve Bannon and Stephen Miller.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The Dildo with Ears says it was a hoax, taken out of context, just like other hoaxes.

None of those other things were hoaxes. Assholes like Adams just found a way to gain control of the narrative.

OscarMadison likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.