1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Now I think you are just playing with me. ;)

OscarMadison and Jerry-atric like this.
  2. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

How big of him. As I recall, Reagan also took an oath at some point. Of course, he suffered no real consequences for Iran-Contra.

OscarMadison and champ_kind like this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My comment was strictly limited to the matter at hand! :D

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Regan MacNeil likes this.
  9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Maybe. They'll. Die.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I like checking out the books that are often in the background of remote interviews on CNN, etc. Last night Preetinder Bharara was on CNN or MSNBC (I forget) and Robert Caro's series on LBJ, and his The Power Broker bio of Robert Moses, were front and center.

Great reading. Instead cred.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I got on the air exactly that way once. They were giving away a new Trans-Am. "Hi, what's your name? I hate to have to say this, but you're number eight, and you needed to be ninth..."

maumann likes this.
  12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think it's bigger than Reagan and dates back to Vietnam. My thesis in a paragraph:

For the many stories about how Vietnam was a reformation of American society, particularly in how it dealt with authority and the military, I think a counter-reformation developed of people that were determined to re-establish a pre-Vietnam "Real America". What Reagan did was give them power for the first time and an economic agenda. From Reagan forward, the concept that taxation was theft and regulation was punishment was created, weaponized by Newt Gingrich et al, and Trump has allowed the two to bifurcate again as he simply painted it over his fat body. I would argue that Paul Ryan is the endpoint of 20th century American conservatism: a dependence upon a doctrine that doesn't work and is too difficult for the layman to understand, whereas Trump is the endpoint of that Vietnam-era counterreformation: A belief that America can do no wrong regardless of its leaders and decisions. The only commonality they still have is that the only person whose welfare matters is you.

OscarMadison likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.