1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Sam, elected officials are voting against certifying legally cast votes as we speak, even after today's events.

Impeachment and the 25th aren't happening in this reality. There are too many people willing to obstruct that process.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

what should of he said?

Fred siegle likes this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You're right and you're wrong.

You're right in that this was building with partisan media, particularly Fox News and other Right Wing outlets, that feed into the deep belief that Conservatism is the only way to properly run a country and that straying from the conservationism is a betrayal of the country's ideals, from a certain perspective. Then we had the Tea Party who brought militant conservatism into the mainstream. A Black President didn't help. Into this environment, the environment for a wannabe dictator like Trump to rise. The economy made some angry. The push toward inclusiveness made people angry. Taxes, deficits, etc made people angry. Trump consumed and played on those fears and became a hurricane.

You're wrong in that Trump marketed himself and almost violently denied that he was ever wrong, that the truth tellers were lying to everyone and only he can save the people. Dictators don't rise on their own merits, but they gain and hold power by how they successfully manipulate the systems and mold those systems for themselves. They hypnotize their followers and become a cult leader. Trump lost power because he's actually terrible at following through. He gets himself in the door, but then shits his pants. We're just damn lucky that the guy who is trying to turn us into a Banana Republic is so incompetent and has dismissed anyone who was remotely competent to pull off what he wants.

And this country doesn't have the stomach to fully prosecute this man and his lieutenants for the crimes they are committing because we still want to play by the old rules and we're afraid what it will mean if we throw a former president into jail. Make no mistake, Trump and his minions need to go to jail. We need to look seriously at sedition and treason. Even if Trump is arrested, it won't go so far as charging him with a capital crime. We as a country need to go into a new reconstruction and really fix this and began to heal. It's clear we're a powder keg that could send us to civil war if we don't get our house in order. Because the next one to try to over throw an election won't be a comic book villain too busy monologuing while the hero breaks free.

OscarMadison and Dog8Cats like this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

OK, let's say you're correct ... probably a case that I don't want to believe it, but given that we STILL have Republicans on Capitol Hill who believe everything and anything Trump says, you're probably correct.

But go through the process. Let those who obstruct weather withering criticism. Let's not avoid doing so just because we're in fear of obstruction. Not trying is a complete copout.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You're an educated man, I presume. I shouldn't have to explain the difference between "should" and "will" this many times.

8. Sam Mills 51

... and now you imply that I'm an idiot. Just go away ...

9. RickStain

You: This has to happen.

Me: It should, but it won't.

You: So you're saying it shouldn't?!?!?!?!

Yeah, I'm not super impressed at the moment.

Stoney likes this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Sam, we're all angry, but Rick isn't saying he doesn't want Trump prosecuted. He's saying he doesn't think others will. It might be best to just walk away from this one.

Fred siegle and OscarMadison like this.
  11. Sam Mills 51

I understand ... but that he wants to tell me that I don't understand the difference between "should" and "will" is insulting.

And that last statement is bang-on. Thanks.

12. RickStain

It was meant to be insulting. Because I explicitly told you twice that it should happen but won't, and then you said "So you're saying it shouldn't happen because we should take the path of least resistance?!"

How am I supposed to take that other than you literally not understanding the difference between should and will?

You can't play the "So you're saying ... " game, try to say that I said something I explicitly told you twice I wasn't saying, and then harrumph away when you get a little heat off it.

Fred siegle and BTExpress like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.