1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

AFT’s Weingarten on Betsy DeVos’ Resignation as Education Secretary

This was the entire statement released by American Federation of Teachers President Randi Weingarten in response to Betsy DeVos resigning as secretary of education.

"Good Riddance."

Riddance shouldn't have been capitalized, but let's just assume that error was an intentional homage to DeVos. Her department certainly sent out enough releases of its own with glaring errors in the conventions of English. :D

The sick part of this is DeVos is trying to claim some sort of moral high ground, implying that President Trump's rhetoric at least played a part in the attack on the Capitol. She gave up a job she was going to lose in 13 days. She gave up a job she was never qualified to hold in the first place, something she proved consistently for nearly four years. There was a very short time that I tried to convince myself that maybe he wouldn't be such a terrible president. Choosing DeVos was one of the first tangible actions that made me realize that was a false hope. Of course, Trump went on to prove that he is the worst president in the history of the United States and it isn't even close. DeVos went on to prove that it is a bad idea to choose an unqualified idiot who wants nothing more than to destroy public education as the secretary of education.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

On thing McConnell needs to do is yank Hawley's and Cruz's committee assignments. Members of Congress aren't guaranteed any assignments. Those are handed out at the pleasure of party leadership. Don't let them get one second of soundbites.*

*After the aforementioned public shaming by reading the election security findings.

Kato and OscarMadison like this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really have to admit - having just experienced a 10 minute wifi outage if this was "it." Between COVID, the civil unrest and election stuff, what happened at the Capitol. Seriously, it's pretty much a coin flip at this point whether the person driving your bus, patrolling your streets, flying your airplane or controlling our nuclear arsenal is part of the death cult. Scary times.

4. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

This is why I drive myself everywhere these days, or ride my trusty Trek.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

who me what no i was just offering the tree of liberty a caprisun

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    2muchcoffeeman, garrow and TowelWaver like this.
  8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

There were two classes of bullies when I grew up. There were the rich(er) kids who could humiliate you because you weren't them. It wasn't exactly subtle, but it wasn't violent.

Then there were the big, dumb kids. Often from humble circumstances. They bullied, ultimately, because they were incapable of holding a coherent thought and completing the simplest class. But they wanted to feel important because they knew their future was dark. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you (many of) the Trumpers.

wicked and OscarMadison like this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My Congressperson, Katherine Clark, speaking for House leadership, just said there'd be an impeachment vote by the middle of next week. So Tuesday-Wednesday. For the Congress, that is Usain Bolt speed.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Do you think they really knew their future was dark?

Not sure kids between 8 and 18 think or visualize in such ways.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One thing I wish the media would ask these guys: “If you are so sure that there was substantial fraud that affected the results enough to cost Donald Trump the victory, would you be willing to put your own job on the line and resign if that substantial fraud is not found in this investigation?

Watch them hem and haw.

OscarMadison, FileNotFound and garrow like this.
  12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. It's just a generalization. But you know the kind of kid I'm referring to.

OscarMadison likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.