1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He needs to avoid being killed.

maumann likes this.
  3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that it is a mistake to call the attack on the Capitol a coup.

Thankfully it was not. There was no real organization to the rabble and, at least so far, it was fighting against the police and military, not along side a faction of those organizations.

There were probably active duty military and off-duty cops among the criminals, but they will likely be punished by their units if they are identified.

This distinction might seem like a minor quibble, but I’m sort of a word guy and believe truth is on the side of the just and believe accuracy is ultimately important.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

One of my first writing gigs entailed coming up with fifteen to twenty topical jokes every weekday plus quick bite television bumpers. This was during the Clinton Administration. Can't imagine trying to do this now.

Be vigilant but not frantic. I have a weirdo militia man next door. Keeping safe is first priority.

maumann and 3_Octave_Fart like this.
  5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It was a rebellion. I like to think I am a word person also and that is what I've settled on- not 'coup' because Nicolle Wallace has decided that is what it is.

These peckerwoods couldn't organize a float trip. That is the key factor, organization, and I imagine will also be an impediment to full prosecution.

maumann likes this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

if you think desk duty for a couple weeks while their unions, which supported Trump, work to save their jobs, be my guest. We’ve all seen how this dance goes on the other thread where cops have killed people.

7. tapintoamerica

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I have a militia guy next to my mother. You kill 'em with kindness. I left a six of good craft beer on the guy's driveway last time I was there.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We’ll see.

But, as of yet, the actions of this riotous mob in my opinion do not constitute a coup.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Murdochsasil is a helluva drug.

Tighthead likes this.
  11. tapintoamerica

How about “attempted coup?”

Fred siegle, TowelWaver and Mngwa like this.
  12. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

It was not a coup only because it was not successful. At the president's urging, a mob stormed the Capitol with the express purpose of preventing the duly elected government from taking over and putting Trump in power illegally. What they attempted is pretty much the dictionary definition of a coup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.