1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I don’t know that the level of organization or involvement of military or police units, as has been revealed so far, puts it at that level.

I think that a coup might have been the hope of some of the rioters might have been an actual coup, so I might agree with the “attempted” part with the caveat that, most of the time the Kansas Jayhawks hike the football, they are attempting to commit a touchdown, but rarely cross that line.

2. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

a military coup is only one form of coup. there are others.

TowelWaver and Spartan Squad like this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Violent whitelash.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

5. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

“Drumpf” did urge them to be peaceful.

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The timing of this was not a coincidence and the fact that there were weapons and restraints found also not a coincidence. This wasn't some average day at the Capitol. This was when basically the entire government was on hand to certify the presidential election. It was to stop that and try to keep another in power regardless of how well it was executed. I'd say it is safe to say it was at the very least an attempted coup.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My concern is that labeling it a coup or attempted coup gives it more legitimacy, in some odd way, than it deserves.

So far, organized police and military organizations have stressed that they were opposed to the actions of the rioters.

To me and (in my opinion) most folks, a coup is a military coup, not a terrorist mob act with no discernible organization or command structure.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Scout likes this.
  8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

How does it not have legitimacy, though? This is a terrible moment in our history and all accounts are that it was freaking planned, plus the president's encouragement. We can't brush it under the rug. It's likely going to have further ramifications, too. Who cares how well it was carried out (and there honestly seems to be at least some small level of official involvement), it did stop the proceedings, it did put our government and officials in danger and it did succeed on a basic level. I don't see how it wasn't, again, at the very least an attempted coup.

9. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

The level of coordination is not necessarily a closed question.

It's far more dangerous to act like there was no real threat. There were certainly some in that crowd who intended to detain and execute elected officials. Not calling things what they are it's part of the reason things have been allowed to get this far.

Slacker, wicked, TowelWaver and 5 others like this.
  10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There is definitely the belief from some people who will be doing the investigating that they may have had inside help, i.e. someone gave them directions on how to find certain offices in a building that is not easy to navigate.

Hermes likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

This may be controversial depending on how you view it and I just got done reading three books on John Brown so I’m probably making a convenient comparison...While Brown’s aims were certainly more righteous, the equivalent act in American history is perhaps Harper’s Ferry? Similarly doomed from the start, ill-conceived and with the possibility of inciting violence. Again, Brown fought the enslavement of human beings and these chucklefucks opposed an invented conspiracy, but their acts are of the same classification in a way. They imagined their uprising would inspire a larger group to act. In both cases no one did. They both claimed to be peaceful but led to loss of life.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Whhaaaaat? You mean everybody doesn't have a makeshift gallows and nylon restraints as part of the their every day carry?
    Crap. I've been overpacking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.