1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Constructing a makeshift gallows has gotta involve multiple people at least working for a couple minutes — and carrying around the materials. Footage has to be out there. So do witnesses.

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

As you feel bad for her, please take a good look at her right hand.

3. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Could be free speech. Could be terroristic threat during a domestic terrorist attack.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Can I construct anything I want on public property and call it speech? An operational electric chair? A small house?

Seems specious to me.

Or is there settled case law saying a constructed wooden gallows without a permit is protected speech? I’m asking honestly.

Stoney and Dyno like this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You only cover us when we get maced during a revolution!

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

On the surface, I'm the poster boy middle age southern white boy. Someone brought up what you said the other day. I said, "So? I'm good with Harris being POTUS. I'm not a bigot, and my dick ain't short, so I'm not intimidated by black women. I think she'll do a good job."

gingerbread, Mngwa and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The difference between an operational electric chair and a small house is they are intended for use and subject to permits. Yes, the gallows were probably intended for use, but it's up to you to prove my intent beyond bad things happened in the same area.

As to your second point, Kato is right that there is a grey area here. You cannot make terrorists threats (why putting a noose in a garage is potentially a hate crime) but you also can't forbid offensive symbols simply because they are offensive. St. Paul tried to ban such things as cross burning and had the law tossed. However, you can't burn a cross as a specific threat. Simply having a burning cross, say in a field, is symbolic speech. Putting that cross in front of someone's house could be seen as a threat. Putting up gallows doesn't have a specific threat if it is just sitting there unless evidence emerges that there was an active plan to execute members of congress. Even then, I think the gallows would be used as evidence of that crime rather than it being a crime itself.

I'll yield to the actual lawyers on the thread if I am off base here, but that is my understanding.

EDIT: Here is my source for my opinion that goes through the history of symbolic speech. It backs up both sides which is why I'll be more than happy to yield to the thread's lawyers

Symbolic Speech

Hermes likes this.
  8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

She's palming an actual onion? Don't know why I figured it was promo swag from the site when it was first mentioned.

Stupid, stupid people.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Even if it is allowed as speech, could it be used to help build a conspiracy case, if there's evidence that a coordinated attack on the Capitol included the capture and execution of senators and representatives or the VP?

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Yes, which is why I said the gallows could be used as evidence of your intent rather than it being a crime in it of itself.

Hermes, OscarMadison and Kato like this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Fake tan/deadly tantrum
    Let's go for a ride
    I will not be silenced said the cisgendered white men

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Barely a month in office. Impressive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.