1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Typical. Black guy saves America by his quick thinking, and the commentators only mention how athletic he is.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

LOL Belichick -- when your HoF QB, and everything else -- goes south in a hurry. LOL

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Uh-huh. Right ... :

... and she, along with Huckabee and others, are incredibly tone-deaf.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I long for a simpler time when grown ass adults didn't whine about how many twitter followers they have.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Love how whomever made this wrapped him- or herself (probably himself) in Christian imagery there.

Leads me right back to a commentary by Robert Jones of the Public Religion Research Institute (who got his Master’s of divinity at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary).

If there was one thing of value to come out of the shameful chaos of Wednesday’s attack on the U.S. Capitol, it’s that the horrific events made plain the powerful ideological and theological currents of American politics that often stay just under the surface. The emblems carried by the rioters — particularly the comfortable juxtaposition of Christian and white supremacist symbols — bear witness to these forces.

There were crosses, “Jesus Saves” signs and “Jesus 2020” flags that mimicked the design of the Trump flags.

Some of the participants, organized as part of a “Jericho March,” blew shofars — Jewish ritual horns — as they circled the Capitol, reenacting the siege of the city of Jericho by the Israelites described in the Book of Joshua in the Hebrew Bible. And one video showed the Christian flag — white, with a blue canton containing a red cross, used by many white evangelical churches — being paraded into an empty congressional chamber after the doors had been breached and members of Congress evacuated.

If we are to understand the events of yesterday, and the challenges ahead for us as a nation, we must take these symbols and this rhetoric seriously, not in isolation, but in combination and conversation with each other.

This seditious mob was motivated not just by loyalty to Trump, but by an unholy amalgamation of white supremacy and Christianity that has plagued our nation since its inception and is still with us today. As I show in my book “White Too Long: The Legacy of White Supremacy in American Christianity,” there remains a disturbingly strong link between holding racist attitudes and identifying as a white Christian.​

The willingness among those in the crowd Wednesday to believe outlandish conspiracy theories and the unwillingness to accept the election results are born from the same source: a desperate desire by some white Christians to hang onto ownership of a diversifying country.

As many have rightly declared, the violent disregard for the rule of law we witnessed is not the best of who we are. But if we’re going to heal our nation, we need to confess that it remains, still today, a troubling part of America’s political and religious heritage.​

Taking the white Christian nationalist symbols at the Capitol riot seriously

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If Belichick shows up for this, then the Krafts should dump him immediately. Not for the politics, but it would show his judgment is completely shot.

gingerbread and wicked like this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm sure he's getting right on that.

[​IMG]

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If these police were armed, they showed tremendous, tremendous restraint in not opening fire on these assholes, especially after seeing that guy dragged down the stairs.

The same for the cops where the guy was being squeezed by the door.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I was gonna say, I hope it happens but ...

Goodell should step in. I don’t think he will.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Or, how about Belichick just refuses to accept it?

Spartan Squad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.