1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Is that good?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's better than 0% effectiveness of not being vaccinated.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

True.
    If you could choose any vaccine out there, knowing they have different levels of efficacy and different numbers of required shots, which one would you take?

4. RickStain

The mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) seem to be better than the traditional ones (all the others). It's not a huge difference, but it's there.

That said, I hate having appointments and having to drive to them, so the one-shot Johnson and Johnson would be awfully tempting.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  5. RickStain

The running 7-day average for doses delivered in the US is up to 900k/day, or a smidge under 2% of the population per week.

Given that we still are in limited supplies and don't have all the vaccines approved we would like, that's really not bad. The first few weeks were a stumble, but the US is a logistical juggernaut once it gets moving.

6. RickStain

Total US hospitalized down 4% today over the same day last week, and down 6.5% over what appears to have been the peak on Jan. 6.

If that's the peak, that's 12 days after Christmas, which lines up perfectly. Reading the tea leaves of the graphs now, I think we were starting to slow down and maybe reach a peak in November, then the holidays pushed things back up temporarily, and now we're starting to come down even more aggressively.

Unless something unexpected happens (more contagious variant becomes a big deal? People start holding lick-and-cough parties because they feel overconfident?) I expect this trend to accelerate.

7. RickStain

Ironically, the best thing that could happen is if no one realizes this is happening. It would be ideal if everyone remains convinced that everything is worse than ever for another month or two.

wicked and FileNotFound like this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The ol “The Soviets have 12 times the nuclear weapons” approach.

Biden will take care of ya on this. The media too.

RickStain likes this.
  9. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Yes, how dare people preach responsibility and safety. Would much rather continued assurances that it's no big deal.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Are there shots for the common cold? That's basically what COVID is. You get one grab at the brass ring and that is it.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You are responding to an imaginary post.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Oh God. I thought I'd never have to read that sentence again.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted