1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That sucks for her and her family. Our thoughts are with her.

On the bright side, if she's as sharp as advertised, have her follow along virtually as her health allows. These kind of kids will do so willingly since, the way you describe her, she's the antithesis of the kid who's just looking to avoid getting work and assignments done.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Hubby, who is diabetic, gets his first shot tomorrow. I called in a favor with a friend because Florida's system is impenetrable.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I was shocked she showed up to my virtual class. But she is just someone who takes school so seriously. I wouldn't blame her if she took a few days off. And we're at the end of the semester, so if she is going to miss time, this would be the perfect time to do it because she won't miss much.

Appreciate the thoughts for her. Really enjoy this kid.

garrow and FileNotFound like this.
  4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Absolutely it's crucial that nobody takes this as an excuse to become more lax. It's incredibly important that we maintain our current behavior levels at a minimum.

But it is worth noting that 7-day-average hospital census has only declined two other times, and both were the beginning of prolonged declines. It's not something that bounces around a lot like cases or deaths.

Hospital census is now down 8% over the peak on Jan. 6, and ICU (which had been a little more stubborn) is starting to drop and is down 5% over a Jan. 8 peak.

Everyone keep doing what you're doing, be careful, get vaccinated when it's your turn, and I have a chance to see the Ducks play live with my kid again this season. It has to happen by early May because they sure as hell aren't making the playoffs.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mass. new cases were above 7K a few days early last week but this week haven't hit 4K yet. I have no idea what that means. I can testify from pre-covid experience with a stone in a gall bladder duct (never do that!) that MLK Day is no day to visit a Mass. hospital emergency room, so maybe some people not feeling well haven't self-reported the past couple days.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

This thread is one year old today.

RickStain likes this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sounds pretty bad.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I never thought it would get this far and I still don't get it to be honest.

A virus that mostly spreads through close contact shouldn't be *this* hard to control. It's not just the bad people refusing to wear masks or whatever. The real problem is that the money people don't want to risk losing money, so we refuse to take those last few steps that would get transmission down from a little above 1 to a little below 1, so we end up sacrificing a year of our lives and don't really get much out of it other than prolonging the misery and 500k people die anyway.

lakefront, MileHigh and wicked like this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

But plenty of folks still got haircuts and ate riblets.

HanSenSE and Spartan Squad like this.
  12. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

Yesterday was my state's first "sign up" day for an appointment for those over age 65. My Mom's Assisted Living Facility is scheduled staff and residents for January 29th. Obviously it will still be yet to be determined if things go smoothly.

Draft saved Draft deleted