1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Now we know who voted against Jeter for the Hall.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I went to Walmart this afternoon because I needed some spray paint.
    We got to the aisle, and there was a woman with no mask standing broadside right in front of where I needed to be.
    I stood back and scoped out what I was looking for. My wife asked if I saw what I needed.
    I said, "Yeah, I'll get it as soon as COVID Karen moves out of the way."
    She shot me a dirty look and moved on. Oh well.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Oh well. Tell her to "wear a mask" - add profanity if you wish - and move on.

Given the section of the store, graffiti it if necessary.

HanSenSE and Driftwood like this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Had something similar happen this morning, before 7 a.m., even.

Guy not wearing a mask got in my line, so I asked him to mask up. He started to pull up a gaiter, muttering something about freedom.
    I started to ring him up, and he still wasn't masked, so I asked him again, and he replied I have my mask on.
    The lead of the night crew happened to be nearby (I was about to page him), came over, voided out his transaction and told him to leave. All the time, customer is saying, you're not really doing this.

Later in back, the night guy told me the customer had harassed another member of his crew earlier and let him know if it happened again

I fucking love schadenfreude.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good to know that stores have stopped messing around.

Worried that some mom-and-pop stores might not, not because they're COVID deniers or anti-mask, but because of inevitable blowback and loss of business, but not as concerned with chains.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There’s a violent and vociferous core group of republicans that seem to be dictating life in America these days. They are powerful because they chose the Republican candidates in the primaries. They maybe 15-20% of the total electorate. They are the Holocaust deniers, climate change deniers, anti-Vax, evangelical, xenophobic .... assholes. Big business doesn’t cater to them because their buying and consumption power is limited. It’s why the Foxnews advertisers are ambulance chasing lawyers and drug companies, not Fortune 500 companies. Are independents going to be so turned off they will reject republicans in ‘22?

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

2EF86E0C-BA2C-4F94-AA4A-25543A722D74.png

Mngwa likes this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The Senate map in 2022 looks favorable for the Dems. Burr and Toomey are retiring and their replacement races look a toss-up. And Ron Johnson looks vulnerable in Wisconsin. On the minus side, Warnock and Kelly will have to hold onto their seats and win full six-year terms in states that are historically red.

Just based on that, I think the over-under on 2022 will be +1 for the Dems, and Kamala Harris won't have to be on-call every second to break a tie.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I would be interested to see the polling that was cited. Both Tim Griffin and Leslie Rutledge are declared candidates who are fairly popular in the state and it was already a hot 2-way race. I think the Huckstress will be having to settle for bronze. The biggest ripple she will make is force a runoff.

Draft saved Draft deleted