1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Your old roommate sounds like a nerd and a half.

Octave likes this.
  2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

He was.
    He introduced me to one of the future Mrs. Octaves. Those poor women.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Good God woman... you just knocked him the fuck out.

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

pray you like and shareth if thouest agree

garrow and SFIND like this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Good. Hope it works.

Of course, I'm sure Austin has, like many cities, housing voucher programs run through non-profits that can land a homeless person in an apartment for a good year. There are typically - and I know this from knowing many people in these fields - many paths out of homelessness toward home-lived lives.

The problem is not the will of the government, or non-profits, or the availability, generally, of apartments to live. The problem is, once you decide you're not going to be homeless, having a place to live isn't any particular kind of life on its own. You need friends/loved ones, a job, a purpose, something you want to spend the money on beyond the shelter itself (that you're not paying for anyway.) often, it seems like a lot.

Songbird likes this.
  6. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

No one says fixing climate change requires no sacrifice. As Kerry said yesterday, we already pay for it when we do emergency hurricane and wildfire relief. Planning for it and acknowledging why these disasters keep getting worse will cost less in the long run. You're inventing an argument to refute.

By that same token, no one on the left or in the democratic party has ever proposed "no more guns."

Improving people's lives makes them less likely to commit murders. Again, the vast majority of people who commit murder aren't doing it for the fun of it.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ted Cruz - who I think is a worm - agreed with her.

AOC’s response is that Cruz tried to have her killed and can resign.

What is it about that response that you like? I’m genuinely curious.

Songbird likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/01/26/biden-environmental-justice-climate/

“People have been in pain long enough. We are not going to ask for sacrifice.”

9. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

It's a matter of who is doing the sacrifice. There are plenty of people who are not in pain. There are at least two Americas.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Think

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It’s almost as if when people want you dead you take it personally. The nerve.

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Storytime:

We had a Baby G who hit the lottery when it came to teachers at the school we were mainstreaming him into. Over the course of the Fall semester, he went from monosyllabic grunts and shrugs to expressing opinions. He had lots of those. We knew he was smart from the written tests. Once he started talking, well, sometimes it was difficult to get him to pause. I thought it was great. So did our clinical director. Some of the other counselors? Not so much.

So one afternoon we were getting ready for the mainstreamed kids to come back to the center. (Many of them were semi- or fully homeless, so they lived on the unit.) About an hour before the school day was over, we got a call from the principal to come and pick up (Kid.) He had gotten into an argument with the librarian. Thing is, we knew he adored the school librarian. They sent me to get him. By the way, I learned that afternoon that Toyota Camrys are Nerd Mom cars. So what happened? I got an earful.

"They want to remove everything about Nathan Bedford Forrest. How the fuck am I supposed to learn about that bastard if they erase him? They also took "Roots" out of the stacks because they talk about cutting Kunta's foto. That's his dick. I'm sorry Miss Oscar. I shouldn't have said dick. Have you read "Roots?" So it's gone, too. Who is uncomfortable about this? Not me. I need to know this shit, fotos and all. They're erasing my history because they're uncomfortable! That's some bullshit right there. I'm really sorry I said 'dick' to you..." and so on for the twenty-five minutes it took us to get back to the residence.

So when all this renaming starts, I wonder who is being made comfortable by what is an expensive feel-good gesture. I'm not against renaming. Local families and children have made efforts to rename things for people who mean something to them. It's seeing what looks like an erasure of history to this bright thirteen-year-old that makes me stop and think before buying in.

Draft saved Draft deleted