1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Guy punches someone in the face and he doesn’t know why he was hit in the head five times with a goalie’s stick.

2. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He was and is all too happy to spread lies and stoke the fears of people who had threatened violence. He doesn’t believe for a second that the election was stolen or that there was widespread voter fraud but because he really, really wants to be President, he has made the calculation that ginning up people is his best path. Those same people have demonized AOC because of her views, her gender and her ethnicity and because of her social media presence, he has tried to make her a nemesis.

So while he did not have a hit order out on her and likely (although not definitely) was against the breach of the Capitol itself, he certainly helped foster to the conditions which led to January 6th.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't think it's lovely - especially from someone like AOC whose potential to be president is significant - but... I have to admit I'm in the minority on the board on this. I don't feel as strongly as some do, and perhaps have not experienced the last year as some have. And I have to appreciate that, on some level, most of the posters here think she's fighting for America and against evil when she writes that. I don't personally find tweets like that helpful. But I think many here find tweets like that important to the moment.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Tweets like that aren’t helpful, if the goal is to have a functioning government where there is respect between the parties and stuff gets done. But that horse left the barn long ago, so it might as well become UFC Lite.

Driftwood likes this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I don't remember us looking for someone to play obtuse/idiot Christian, republican on the message board.

Some movies are much better if certain characters are removed.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Twitter fights between members of Congress are generally unnecessary. I think this one is unnecessary.
    The notion that AOC is a viable POTUS candidate is highly questionable. The suggestion that she might be POTUS one day is right-wing screech machine exaggeration designed largely to create fear and raise money.
    Her own party isn't terribly fond of her. Far right plays just fine in Amurrica. Far, far left? Not so much.

Driftwood, SFIND and wicked like this.
  8. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

But the Squad went from four members of Congress to six! They’re practically marching down the street forcing people to get gay married to a Prius already!

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Got it.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Bingo. Not a fan of starting fights, but the Republicans have turned this into fight or flight, Alma.

If you don't like what liberals/Democrats/the Left is saying, then tell the Republicans to stand down, act civil and stop the hypocrisy. Until that occurs, spare us your clutched pearls.

12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Alma-
    Your argument might work better if you didn't use the more outlandish members of the caucus and instead someone like Dick Durbin or Madeleine Deane as a starting point.

One thing I know about a fight is even if you don't start it, you better finish it.

Draft saved Draft deleted