1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

SPLC would agree. So do I.

Congratulations on furthering the opioid epidemic. It's going to take more than a bottle of ZZZquil to get to sleep tonight after that.

I feel about this the way I feel about people demanding ALL Muslims denounce what some zealot did halfway around the world. As much as I love my religion, I am terrified of some of my co-religionists. Years ago, someone I had never spoken to in the press box tweeted oblique references to me being a witch after I covered a Pagan event as a religion/anthropology writer. It reached the point where "Christians" were sending threats. That same year, I wrote a story about "You Can Play" and a day later, someone tried to pry open my storm door and left a note threatening my dog. (Maybe naming him after a Red Wing wasn't the smartest thing.)

I'm not bringing this up for sympathy, I am trying to press home the point that it's easy to be brave on someone else's behalf. Maybe you don't mean to do that. People with whom I have broken bread, who I have considered friends have, in the name of my religion, laughed at the pain of others, voiced a desire for violence, and shown a side of themselves that shocked me. I don't think I could feel safe around them if I ever saw them again.

I have Muslim friends. The thought of demanding they denounce people they don't know never occurred to me. Their faith is not reflected in the hateful actions of others. I don't see myself, my church, or Jesus reflected in the profane misuse of my faith. I do speak up. However, I am realistic. There are people here, people who have walked with me to the press box who probably wouldn't blink if one of their own shot me on the concourse.

I wish I was overstating this. The bigotry here predates Trump. It's just a lot more blatant since he was in office.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  3. Songbird

Single handily lol

4. Songbird

MTG/Gaetz '24?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Neither were “forced out.” They resigned. Do you think they should have resigned?

Franken was going to be stripped of committee assignments and censured. But he had not yet been “forced out.” Steve King - who has equally horrible beliefs as Green - was stripped of his committee assignments, but did not resign and was not forced out.

If Congress wants to boot Green, it should try to do so instead of being reliant on an unrepentant, extremist heart to suddenly find shame and integrity. It takes two-thirds. Go for it.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

you’re right, there isn’t an equivalent. I think that’s why Congress has to kick her out.

Mngwa likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Could be worse.

"Handily" = without delay or difficulty. In her sentence it kinda sorta works (without the "single" preceding it).

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Lol. Franken was most assuredly forced out behind the scenes.

OscarMadison, heyabbott and JC like this.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, actually it doesn't; she's an illiterate moron.

heyabbott likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Fair enough. You’re right.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yeah ... there's something wrong with her. Or there's a lot wrong with her.

P.S.: So that's where Kelly Loeffler's trucker hat went. Is that a Georgia thing?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    HanSenSE likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

AOC keeps the corrections up, she's gonna cost someone a scholarship.

Fred siegle, tea and ease and wicked like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted