1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Well, he was a wannabe dictator.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) I didn't post anything about Trump. But you are telling me what I "think" about Trump and now what I am now "pretending." I am not pretending anything.

2) Yes, Trump was a wannabe dictator. Our institutions held up to him and his bullshit -- which was the threat that he posed, not the weak attempt at mob force -- actual dictators manage to keep power with better use of force than that.

3) Trump has zero to do with what I posted about Navalny. I have posted a lot about what I thought about Trump on here, FWIW. And long as Putin has his a firm grip on actual dictarial power, Navalny and Trump are apples and oranges. Trump was elected. He was then voted out. In between he stressed our democratic institutions. ... Navalny? He wasn't even allowed on the ballot. ... Putin is still in power. ... and on top of it, the actual dictator tried to have Navalny killed and then jailed him.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's like playing Twister while smoking cigarettes.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Works for me.

Actually I apologize for neglecting your stance in my rant.

Has little to do with "wrong streets". Mass gatherings have been banned in Russia since the pandemic started. Yeah, it's a convenient way to ban protests, too, I guess, but it's not like they've had full stadiums and concert halls the past few months, either. They warn people not to do it ahead of time. So when people gather . . . I guess they should probably expect a rude reception.

5. The Big Ragu

Of course you should expect a rude reception if you protest in Russia. ... Just like all the other times Putin outlawed protests that threaten him before anyone had ever heard the word Covid.

6. BTExpress

They weren't outlawed. Protests have been held. Many people attended. Some people occasionally got violent. Some were detained (for a few hours :eek: ).

Just like ours. Most people who attend do not get into trouble. Some do. Some are innocent participants who get caught in violent crossfire.

I swear, this God-like power you ascribe to Putin is a little creepy. Comical stereotypical, mostly.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. The Big Ragu

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Come for Howard Dean riffing on spatial dissonance, stay for the subtweets.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. BTExpress

As Aldo Raine might say, "Man wants to be a martyr. O-BLIGE him."

Draft saved Draft deleted