1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Why does any ex-president need classified briefings? If there’s a Chinese submarine group parked outside of Anchorage or a splinter cell threatening a supply of rare minerals in Africa, what the hell would we expect Jimmy Carter or George W Bush to do about it? And why would they want the headache anymore?

2. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

The party of personal responsibility says the media I don't listen to and people I don't like are making me want to overthrow the government.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wondered about that too. It seems odd. But I don’t think it’s the daily PDB. More like a “hey, just letting you know that ...”

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I mean if there’s a threat to me or my family, then sure a heads up out of professional courtesy is in order. Beyond that? Screw it. That would be like me wanting to go back to one of my old papers for a 4:00 1A budget meeting.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Is it to keep the current president honest and to make sure he isn’t going rogue?I don’t know why they get them, either.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

“But we must acquit Trump.”

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

America just tried a paramilitary coup, why should anyone listen to America? /[BindTortureExecute]

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The timing of this Burma deal is the worst thing to hit the GOP. Sure Twitchy will be acquitted, but the look is going to be the worst.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This may make them forget Obama's tan suit.

BTExpress likes this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

All previous ex-presidents have assisted the next administration, regardless of party affiliation, with diplomatic efforts around the globe.

Keeping them up to speed was previously seen as a net positive because they could suss out potential problems from when they were in charge.

It just preserves that institutional memory for the office and it was a courtesy extended by the current president to the previous presidents.

Carter was on standby to assist Trump with I think Iran, even after he had been insulted by Trump as a loser or whatever. Carter was still going to help because he valued the country over petty grievance.

Those are just more norms Trump blew up in his term. It is really hard to calculate the amount of damage that was done in the last four years because there's icebergs ahead Team Biden doesn't know about yet because Trump was such a goob.

It is entirely Biden's decision. He's the one who says if it happens or not. I will think less of Biden and this administration if he signs off on Trump getting information. Trump should be excluded from the ex-President's club. He doesn't belong as he's an error on par with foundational mistakes like slavery and ethnic cleansing of Native Americans.

Draft saved Draft deleted