1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Good idea. Sherwood Schwartz already thought of it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Driftwood likes this.
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I wish I possessed the faith all of you do with "this person" will sink the Republican party.

Ted Cruz hasn't.
    Jim Jordan hasn't.
    Marco Rubio hasn't.
    Matt Gaetz hasn't.
    Tommy Tuberville hasn't.
    Roy Moore didn't.
    The Subhuman Pile of Crime didn't.

What makes us think any QAnon moron will?

Hey, I hope all of you are correct and that I'm dead wrong ... but I need to see more evidence.

lakefront, Driftwood and Mr. Sluggo like this.
  3. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

You can't repudiate the craziest of the Trumpists without alienating the Trumpist voters.

This is a self-licking ice cream cone, and feels like a death spiral for the GOP.

Inky_Wretch and wicked like this.
  4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Just what yankeefan would say.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

E.J. Dionne

Opinion: Democrats are faced with a choice. Protect the filibuster or protect democracy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...78ba24-6278-11eb-afbe-9a11a127d146_story.html

"The Democrats can use their House and Senate majorities to reform our politics, guarantee voting rights and enhance our democracy. Or they can surrender to an anti-majoritarian, money-dominated system, and allow the more accessible approach to voting created during the coronavirus pandemic to be destroyed.

This means that the party must recognize that the Senate filibuster, contrary to happy myth, does not promote bipartisanship or constructive compromise by requiring most bills to get 60 votes. No, in the face of a radicalized Republican Party, maintaining the current filibuster rules means abandoning any aspirations to a legacy of genuine achievement.

Sorry, there is no third way here. Yes, Democrats could avoid a complete repeal of the filibuster by getting rid of it only for certain categories of bills — for example, those related to voting rights and democratic reforms. But living with the status quo means capitulating to obstruction. Democrats have only 50 votes plus Vice President Harris’s tie-breaker. They will never get 10 votes from a GOP that can’t even find a way to exile white-supremacist extremists from its ranks."

Driftwood likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A 7-million vote defeat for an incumbent with a net-positive rating on handling the economy ain’t nothing.

garrow likes this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’s not a death spiral until after the’22 elections. Are the crazies just a segment of the rank and file republicans, are the the swing republicans in a primary? Will independents and establishment conservatives vote for the crazies rather than vote for a democrat? Can democrats put up moderates against the crazies or will they commit suicide and put up the most liberal candidate possible?
    There’s a local congressman who is a tea party trumper, the leading person the Dems are putting up against him in a gerrymandered Red district is a married lesbian who owns a small organic farm.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Also depends on how bad the next wave of gerrymandering is and how many laws to disenfranchise minorities get the SCOTUS Seal of Good Housekeeping. Republicans are in long term trouble but it is a war of attrition.

heyabbott likes this.
  9. Sam Mills 51

I hear you. I hope I'm completely wrong, believe it or not. (I think my posts on these threads back this.)

Greene is completely messed in the head. And I go back and forth between "the media is giving her too much air time" and "she's getting just enough rope to hang herself" as the expression goes (unlike some of those awful people, I don't wish death upon them or anyone else).

IMO, let them do this to themselves. But there's also a difference between letting this happen and continuing to try to predict their demise. Trying to wish it into being does little good.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

lakefront and Neutral Corner like this.
  12. Sam Mills 51

Good.

Now I have to ask: Who was the MENSA member who got her onto this committee in the first place?

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted