1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Terrifying to think DC, which has among the most educated workforces in the country and a greater population than Trumpist Wyoming and nearly as many people as Alaska, might become a state with as many Senators as Black Hills Barbie’s South Dakota. And that fedruhl laws strengthening voting rights may be forthcoming. Amurrica may never be the same.

Scary stuff. But back-benchers ignoring metal detectors at the House of Representatives chamber? No problem. The blood of tyrants and all that.

garrow likes this.
  2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It is morally repugnant and totally anti-American that Washington DC, ie, the full-time residents who live there, are not represented in the federal government. If you think otherwise then, with all due respect, you are wrong and STFU.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, most of them are blah people.

If DC became a state you'd have a state consistently voting for the benefit of blah people. What will we do then?

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Trump: “I’ve fired Bruce Castor and replaced him with Castor Troy on my legal team. Big energy!”

[​IMG]

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

D.C. was never intended to have "full-time residents." It was created specifically as a place for TEMPORARY government workers who, after a few years, would go back home to their states.

Maryland GAVE the federal government the land so that it could become a neutral federal district. If it is no longer a "neutral federal district," then the land belongs to Maryland. Article IV in the constitution says, "no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State."

It don't get any more "American" than that.

You want the 2 extra senators. That's it. I get it.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Washington — Republican Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said Sunday that the outcome of former President Donald Trump's upcoming impeachment trial is "really not in doubt" as many Republicans believe the Senate lacks the authority to try a president who is no longer in office and will likely vote to acquit him.
    "It's not a question of how the trial ends, it's a question of when it ends," Graham said in an interview with "Face the Nation." "Republicans are going to view this as an unconstitutional exercise, and the only question is, will they call witnesses, how long does the trial take? But the outcome is really not in doubt."

The next question should have been, "Is that because Republicans put fealty to a demagogue above their sworn duty to the country?"

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Shoot - it's too bad they don't voir dire this impeachment jury - the Dems could get 2/3 easy with all the GOPers who have said they've already made up their mind. It would be hilarious if Leahy started DQing Senators at the start - something out of The Untouchables.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Why the Senate GOP will vote to acquit:

"The commonly stated reason for their behavior is that they’re cowards. They’re afraid of Trump. They’re afraid of their own extreme base. All that’s true. But I say it’s worse than that. I say most of them don’t even want to buck Trump and the base. They want an extremist, authoritarian party because extremism and authoritarianism are the only ways they can get, and hold, power."

Here’s The Real Reason That Republican Senators Will Again Acquit Trum

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Explain West Virginia’s existence in light of Article IV. Otherwise I agree with you. DC was designed specifically to deny it the status of the State. Want to parcel out the Mall area to make it DC, then the remainder reverts to Maryland. Maryland doesn’t want it. And those residents don’t want to be in Maryland.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Tim is smart. He knows the Asa! style of Republicanism is dead in Arkansas. He doesn't have the temperament to go frothing-mad MAGA like Rutledge and SHS. (And Jason fucking Rapert is probably going to be the LG.)

I'm hoping Jim Hendren - Asa's nephew and former F-15 fighter pilot - switches parties to run as a conservative Democrat. But I doubt it will happen.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is mature.

Draft saved Draft deleted