1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Article IV in the constitution says, "no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State."

OK, so explain West Virginia.

I'm not sure if the North ever recognized secession. So, in Congress' eyes, Virginia was still one of the United States. They didn't subtract stars from the flag, did they?

Vermont was created in 1791, from territory originally claimed and governed by New York State, which joined the United States in 1788.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That was the basis of the legal sleight of hand that led to the creation of West By God. The US didn’t recognize the government that voted to secede as the legitimate government of Virginia. They gave that recognition instead to a rump group of Unionists from the northwestern counties who met in Wheeling. And one of the first things they voted to do was split off the counties they came from into a new state. As far as the feds were concerned, this had the blessing of Virginia state government so they ran with it.

SCOTUS gave this their blessing during reconstruction.

Virginia v. West Virginia - Wikipedia

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So extremity of rhetoric doesn't matter?

Do tell.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

What part of what she wrote do you take to be extreme in the context of “We are a month removed from a fatal insurrection attempt at the Capitol stoked by the former president”? Or does her asking for things forcefully just disagree with your sensibilities? Because I would argue those are two very different things.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maine also was created from the jurisdiction of Massachusetts in 1820 as part of the Missouri Compromise.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So it was "damn near impossible" from 2006 through 2020?

Again: The Democrats won. They're in charge. They can get what they want. The fact that the response to winning most of the big prizes is "our democracy almost died until we won" creates a kind of expectation, doesn't it, that democracy is on death's door anytime you don't agree?

I found Trump's midnight in America appeal strange in 2016 - the US, in 2016, seemed pretty damn OK to me, all things considering - and I find the democracy death-rattle a bit of a leverage, too.

That said, Jan. 6 happened, it was bad, and however bad the Republicans think things were before Jan. 6 (as it related to Democrats winning the WH, it wasn't bad for America) they will be worse for the GOP, for a long time, after Jan. 6, because of Jan. 6. And that's probably as it should be. Nudging along and inciting a riot has political consequences.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

First thing I did was see the D/R split in his district. Which makes me a bad person. He won by 9 points in November. Let’s see who the GOP nominates for the special.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Define “extreme rhetoric.”

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Saying that Leader McConnell should be shot in the head.

Draft saved Draft deleted