1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I would posit that if you were a black Mississippi native living in Georgia, shoring up civil rights protections would absolutely feel “essential” and not “merely good.”

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It seceded from a Confederate state, so that's GOOD!

Kind of like when a group wants to separate from a "bad" country, we call that GOOD. "Yay, let the people decide! Woohoo!"

But if a group wants to separate from one of our allies and join a "bad" country (or just separate into its own country that would be an ally to the "bad" country), we bluster about "respecting territorial sovereignty!" and yada yada yada.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Now that that's settled, why do we have two Carolinas and two Dakotas?

lakefront likes this.
  4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Let’s not forget the War of Toledo, where the winners got Toledo and the losers got the Upper Peninsula
    Take that trade any day

cyclingwriter2 and maumann like this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Outside of this board, Portnoy might as well be from Mars. Ask any random 10 people who he is, and 9.9 of them will ask, What the fuck? Never heard of him.

Inky_Wretch, Dyno, garrow and 3 others like this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I can't argue the Jan. 6 thing in terms of using it as an object lesson.

It's there to use, it's fair to use and the GOP will wear it for much longer than it thinks, and deserves to wear it for as long as it does because what the GOP was wrong, and stupid, and stupidly wrong, and also wicked.

Read that sentence again if you think I'm being disingenuous.

Now...I am not sure DC statehood has much to do with all that - the argument that Jan. 6 doesn't happen if it's a state undercuts the idea that the national guard should have been there anyway, and is there now, without DC being a state - but I think it can be, I dunno, rhetorically something to put the fate of democracy on the line for DC statehood and the filibuster. And I suppose I could say, "well, Abrams isn't really in charge of anything" and patronize the words from that perspective, but I think she's pretty reflective of where the party wants to go, and what it wants to say to get there.

Sincerely: Why don't you tell me the appropriate moment, and the appropriate way, on this board, to express anything other than bloodlust and nihilism for our future? How's that done?

7. BTExpress

Virginia and Maryland gave land for the creation of DC in 1790. Virginia took back its land in 1847. Maryland never did.

There will never be another state created without compromise to the other side. Heck, even Alaska and Hawaii were a compromise. No way just one gets in.

You want the State of DC? Cool. Be prepared to welcome West By God Oklahoma to the party. And we have a 52-52 senate makeup.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Jake from State Farm and garrow like this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

A lot — a LOT — of those 74 million will be dead in four years. Trump voters skew old.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Well the point of the Civil War, from the North’s perspective, was that secession is not a legal option. The Southern States may have been in rebellion, but Lincoln and the Union never accepted that the CSA was a country or that secession occurred.
    West Va was carved out of the Commonwealth of Virginia while it was a State. So if you want to cite the Constitution for the purpose of rebutting the possibility that DC can be a state, you also need to rebut the precedent that West Virginia is illegal.

the screeching about some concept of good and bad is misplaced in a legal argument.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

See above. The CSA was never recognized by the USA, Virginia never ceased being a State in the Union, legally speaking.

12. BTExpress

OK, every state is illegal. We illegally took the land on which they stand. We even pulled a "Crimea" to get Hawaii 60 years before admitting it as a state. Overthrew the monarchy that held the island.

Maybe Alaska is legal. Although there are some Russian Alex Joneses who claim Russia only rented it to us.

Difference ain't that great. 25% of GOP voters are 65+. 23% of Dem voters are 65+. Capitol rioters seemed to have some spring in their step.

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 12.28.20 PM.png

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted