1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Lots of Eastern Europeans when I lived there in Vancouver, not BC. Including a guy who was a captain in the Russian army before moving to the states.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

DC statehood is seen as a bulwark to shore up the Democratic majority. Yes it is nearly unprecedented to think in terms of one particular party needing to strengthen its majority in order to save representative democracy. I can’t think of another time since Reconstruction where that has been the case. I agree that it is an extremely bold claim.

However, that must be weighed against the fact that the Republicans have become an anti-democratic (small d), anti-majoritarian party in thrall to an ever-tightening constituency that is agitating for a white-controlled ethno-nationalist nation, with a shabby veneer of evangelical Christianity (or at least the cultural trappings of it) painted on the surface.

@Alma I won’t ask you to specifically name where you live, because you are entitled to your privacy. And if you live in a blue part of the country, I am sure you see examples of overreach and despicable treatment of conservatives that don’t really register in my lived experience. I willingly concede that.

But as for me, from the age of 2 til the present I’ve lived places that have been majority to overwhelmingly white, almost all in the Southern Bible Belt. The traditionalists you fret about being “canceled” have run things everywhere I’ve lived, and usually with the subtlety of Boss Hogg. You want to talk unpopular? Try speaking up for progressive ideas when you live in a county that went 70-30 for Trump, with family roots in counties that gave him 78-80 percent. The Amish wish they could do such an effective job of shunning.

Trump supporters are sometimes reluctant to “show their colors” in big cities because they are afraid of some nebulous cancel culture. I wouldn’t dream of putting a sticker for a Democrat on my car because I’d expect property damage at the least and to be shot in the parking lot at worst.

We are past the moment of “both sides.”

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I saw this on "How the States got their Shapes."

We have North and South Dakota because at the time of their admission (1886), Congress had figured out that huge states are not good and are very difficult to govern. So, they allotted a specific number of degrees of latitude per state, which forced the Dakota Territory to be split into two states. If you notice, the Dakotas, Nebraska and Kansas are equal in depth because of this rule. And that's why there's that little sliver of Oklahoma above the Texas Panhandle, because Kansas could extend only so far South from the Nebraska border.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I know Virginia got the land back in 1847. And I know that the addition of states to the Union were frequently the results of compromises. Before the Civil War these compromises were generally about slavery. Alaska and Hawaii had to wait to become states because Southern legislators thought that those states, when admitted, would elect Senators who would support Civil Rights legislation. But to say the Founding Fathers thought the residents of Washington would rotate through every few years is just false. Their were five political entitles within the boundaries at the time the District was created.

The shopkeepers of the Oklahoma panhandle currently have Senate representation. I believe that the good citizens of Washington D.C. should also.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    Inky_Wretch and UNCGrad like this.
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Aren’t you the Russian Alex Jones?

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Probably as soon as the pandemic is over, Biden's gonna do these big rallies all over the country.

Sea Bass likes this.
  8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This isn't difficult. If a citizen has the right to vote, then they should be allowed to exercise that right to vote, without any obstacles put in their way stemming from fear and conspiracy-laden ideas about voter fraud.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You’re missing his/her point. The United States is morally and ethically bankrupt and anything to does is hypocritical to its stated principles. Those principles are merely illusory and designed to lull opponents into thinking the US isn’t a conqueror looking to expand its territory or oppress indigenous people all over the world. Unfortunately the US failed to do this in the moment of its greatest opportunity. Japan and West Germany should have been states 49 & 50.

Draft saved Draft deleted