1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You could argue that it changes how Democrats might talk about "fighting" in the future, but the Democrats will increasingly (perhaps totally) police themselves in this matter, further substituting softer euphemism into their speech as a way of guarding against future violence. And then they may try to police the rest of our speech, too.

If I'm in the GOP, the 1st Amendment is more or less my platform over the next 2 years.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I’m sure Trump loves it when these guys snipe at the house managers

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

So we’re using the Brandenburg gambit now?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No group of people on the planet squeal more with indignation when given a dose of verbal heat than Republicans. They can dish it out but not take it. It's a party of punks. Now that we see a majority of their elected officials are cool with overthrowing constitutional democracy, Democrats should turn up the heat. Work words like crooks and traitors into the discourse on a daily basis. They think of Democrats as enemies? Well then act like an enemy. Show 'em what it's really like.

OscarMadison, HanSenSE and matt_garth like this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is nothing to change. Nobody except Donald Trump incited a violent insurrection over a lie because he lost an election and was scheming to try to thwart the democratic transfer of power.

This is sophistry that anyone not looking for a reason to excuse his behavior is rolling their eyes at.

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

A lot of reruns on the impeachment channel today

Fred siegle and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This is part of the American Christian persecution complex I’ve heard from pulpits and Sunday school classrooms and youth group meetings for decades. It’s gross and manipulative and it doesn’t address the real reasons why Christians have less credibility and influence in society at large, mainly because it keeps shooting its own credibility full of holes with its hypocrisy and undisguised lust for power and cultural primacy.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

garrow, OscarMadison and lakefront like this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not talking about my opinion. I agree with your opinion about Trump's speech.

I am offering a prediction. I am attempting to see around the corner. Maybe I'm wrong; I often am.

My prediction does not reflect my emotion on the matter. I do not plan on voting GOP here in upcoming years, and I did not do it, with one exception that was not for President, four months ago. Truth is, I can function quite well in euphemism, frankly, and in Christian circles, having grasp of it is increasingly useful and helpful to reach people who have been raised on pedagogy full of secular morality and speech safety codes.

If I'm the GOP, the 1st Amendment is the tack I'd predict they should take, because I predict Grandpa Joe is going to spend big over the next four years to help make what I predict will be the new progressive mindset go down a little more smoothly.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Gee is becoming more like, uh, Starman the better things go for his party. :eek:

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I wasn't saying anything about you. I was responding to what you said. I don't think anyone is going to change their behavior with regard to the word "fight." They understand -- as do most people who managed to get through kindergarten-- that the context matters. We'll still have fight songs at football games. People will still fight cancer. And politicians will still talk about fighting for [insert whatever they are going to fight for. ... constituents, legislation, your right to party, whatever].

matt_garth likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Christians have, to a great degree, done this to ourselves, as I've written over and over (and over) again. No argument from me.

The speech policing happening right now, FWIW, is not particularly in the churches. There are plenty of jackass churches in America that drunk on the phony merger of Americanism and Christianity. It saddens me. It is a poor witness. But they are saying what they wanna say.

Speech and behavior policing is seen most in journalism and Hollywood and corporate PR or Halloween parties that retroactively become problematic. You know, liberal enclaves. Many of the villains in the last five years were not Trumpists or anything close to it.

This was tweeted by a Hollywood director on Mar 2, 2020, for example:

Republican Party: treasonous, poisonous, murderous, racist, misogynist.
    Democratic Party: struggling to do their best to help people, misogynist.

At the end of the day, that’s how they beat us. The secret ingredient. We have never confronted America’s basic mistrust of women.

The tweeter is Joss Whedon. (Whose art I don't like and always struck me as a prick.)

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted