1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

McElligot’s Pool was far and away my favorite bedtime book as a child. When our first was born, I bought a new copy because the old one was beat all to hell. My kids like it enough, but my sister and I can recite it by heart, each taking a page and going from there.

I guess the “Eskimo fish from beyond Hudson Bay” are what they’re calling racist, but I always just saw it as the opposite of “Some fish from the tropics, all sunburned and hot, might decide to swim up (well they might, might they not?).

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

honestly never liked the cat in the hat

when i really wanted to drag out bedtime i would select the 500 hats of bartholomew cubbins

that one was loooooong

3. swingline

The Cat in the Hat was magnitudes better than The Cat in the Hat Comes Back, which is all about fighting communism. And sucks.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He was absolutely a raging racist. That was the social more of the time.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. swingline

If I Ran the Zoo is selling for up to $480 on eBay. I need to find our copy of that and Mulberry Street, too.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I’ve seen blog posts going back at least to 2019 that talked about his racist depictions, and the company, Dr. Seuss Enterprises, said it made the decision last year. I won’t rule it out, but given the issues they’re tackling right now, I doubt Dr. Seuss took up even a square inch of real estate in the collective heads of the Biden Administration.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No, he was a raging racist.

Before Dr. Seuss Was Famous He Drew These Sad, Racist Ads

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Same thing they did in their attempts to repeal Obamacare pre-Trump. Never had a plan, just wanted to do away with it, then swallowed hook, line and sinker Trump's "the greatest health care" talking point.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Those kinds of ads weren't that unusual in the 1940s. The person who commissioned them was a "raging racist," at least by the standards of 2021. So was the company that ran those ads. And the publication that accepted the ads. And the people who saw them and bought the products.

Fred siegle and lakefront like this.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Looking forward to tens of thousands of GQP assholes dying, horribly, in front of their loved ones. By any means necessary.

heyabbott likes this.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They were racist then, just accepted.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted