1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I have known a few T1s in my life. I’ve never heard them drop racial slurs, and I’m sure at times they’ve been in suboptimal shape.

I’ve been a T2 (I know, not the same) for several years now and even at my worst, I’ve never been compelled to drop a racial slur.

I can’t believe someone is making excuses for this schmuck.

I Should Coco, Mngwa and OscarMadison like this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It took him several hours to come up with it. The underlying cause is Trumpism and the belief that membership in a Baptist church will give him cover. Which it might.

Mngwa, gingerbread and OscarMadison like this.
  3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Nothing -- not diabetes or insulin shock or Roseanne Barr's Ambien or just a freakin' bad day -- will make you say or do racist things if those thoughts aren't already in your head.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I look at it another way: A lot of racist acts (and many other terrible things) are caused more by not thinking.

With regard to my earlier post, I was speaking to diabetes, which my family knows quite a lot about.

What was said was terrible. I was addressing Rowan's contention that his actions might have been brought on and/or exacerbated by an insulin imbalance, which can be serious and yes, unpredictable. It might be ridiculous in this instance, and I, too, think it's unlikely. But, without knowing anything else about the guy, I believe it's possible. It was a point of interest for me, so I added it to the discussion.

There are many medical conditions that cause all kinds of strange, even terrible behaviors, and that, it follows (or precedes, I guess) can expose all manner of thoughts that are in people's heads. I wouldn't presume to know or understand all the possibilities, but I wouldn't totally discount them out of hand, either.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Want to start a fight you’ll lose and still be right. tell someone that attributes that quote to MLK Jr that he didn’t say that first but ‘appropriated’ it without apparent attribution from Theodore Parker who said it first in 1853.

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Sure, if racist thoughts were in his head, a medical condition could mess with his inhibitions. I'll grant that.
    It's the same with Ambien and other drugs -- if you are predisposed to certain behavior, the medication can affect the prefrontal cortex that controls judgement and impulse control.
    But your brain already has to be wired hard by that behavior and/or thought process.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Honestly, trot out a half-dozen real friends who aren't white and can vouch for your support for and of people of color and I'd consider it. My guess is, this guy can't.

Draft saved Draft deleted